9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 6:08 AM by Hilary-Oracle RSS

How to upload CLOB and BLOB columns

Rod West
      Hi,

I am trying to upload CLOB and BLOB columns to the cloud. When I add tables with CLOB and BLOB columns to the SQLDeveloper cart, tick the data box and deploy to the cloud then a deploy.zip file is created containing the ctl and ldr files. However, the table ldr file in the deploy.zip contains references to the blob files but these files are not in the deploy.zip. Hence when the deploy file is processed it contains errors:

SQL*Loader-502: unable to open data file 'RW1_DATA_TABLEbab986cc-013c-1000-8008-c0a838015cd7.ldr' for field "BNAME" table "RW1"
      SQL*Loader-553: file not found

For CLOB columns there are no ldr files created.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here, or is it just not possible?

Rod West
        • 1. Re: How to upload CLOB and BLOB columns
          skutz
          What version of Sql Developer are you using?

Thanks
          • 2. Re: How to upload CLOB and BLOB columns
            Rod West
            I'm using Version 3.2.20.09
            • 3. Re: How to upload CLOB and BLOB columns
              Hilary-Oracle
              Hi Rod,

I've carried out a test using the same version of SQL Developer that you've used but it worked for me. Would you mind outlining the exact steps you followed when using SQL Developer?

Regards,
              Hilary
              • 4. Re: How to upload CLOB and BLOB columns
                Mindmap
                Hello,

If I may interfere with related issue. In my case my application has a lot of images and a lot of PDFs, and as I got, it will never be feasible to use Oracle cloud in this case. Can you please correct me ?

Best Regards,
                Fateh
                • 5. Re: How to upload CLOB and BLOB columns
                  RickG
                  Fateh -

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. Hillary pointed out that you can upload CLOBs and BLOBs to the Database Cloud Service. Are you referring to something else?

- Rick Greenwald
                  • 6. Re: How to upload CLOB and BLOB columns
                    Mindmap
                    Hello Rick,

Thanks for your reply, my point relates to Blob. Sorry, I should have limited my claim to my case, I have an APEX application for Real-Estate. My company size is around 20-30 employees; we manage around 1000 properties. each property has around 10 images and few PDFs. In other words, each property requires around 5 MB. In my case I do not think it is feasible to move to the Cloud. Please correct me ?

By the way, are you Rick who was a presenter in Oracle Cloud events ? In Oracle Cloud World, Rick showed the attendees an APEX app which has interactive Google map with a report on the same page. He / You clicked on the map and got the report. If you are aware of this, do you think that you can share this APP with us ?

Best Regards,
                    Fateh
                    • 7. Re: How to upload CLOB and BLOB columns
                      RickG
                      Hi Fateh -

Thanks - I still don't know why you could not use the Database Cloud. Not saying it will work for you, but there does not seem to be any functionality that is missing.

At this point, I am the only one who has presented at CloudWorld events (although others will start next week). I'm not sure where I could post the demo app, but let me ask around.

- Rick Greenwald
                      • 8. Re: How to upload CLOB and BLOB columns
                        Rod West
                        Hi Hilary,

The exact steps I followed was just dragging the table containing the BLOB column into the cart, ticking the export data checkbox and then clicking the deploy to the cloud button.

I had some problems installing SQL Developer on my windows 8 PC so maybe this is an SQL Developer install problem. I will try and repeat the tests on a windows 7 PC.

Thanks for confirming that this should work.

Rod
                        • 9. Re: How to upload CLOB and BLOB columns
                          Hilary-Oracle
                          Hi Rod,

My environment is Windows XP, and I don't have access to a Windows 7 or 8 environment right now to verify, but I'll try to get hold of an equivalent environment and see if I can reproduce the reported issue. I've taken a look on the SQL Developer OTN forum (SQL Developer and haven't found anything on Windows 8 issues. So it might be worth verifying that your environment meets all of the system recommendations for installing SQL Developer: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35137_01/doc.32/e35119/install.htm#CIHDJBJG. Please let me know how you get on with your Windows 7 environment, and if you're still experiencing issues, then I'll follow up with the SQL Developer team to investigate further.

Regards,
                          Hilary