This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2013 7:33 AM by ThAn RSS

Error: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: JVM cannot use large page

ThAn Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

i recently came across Error Message (coming up in webadmin Log view):
ProcessMonitor: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: JVM cannot use large page memory because it does not have enough privilege to lock pages in memory
when running Oracle NoSQL on Windows 7 64bit Home Premium system, having 8GB of physical RAM.

I created the store configuration without explicitly passing a value for parameter memory_mb (was set to -memory_mb 0), so that replication group would take as much
memory as possible, which found it's reflection in following line from store log:
Creating rg1-rn1 on sn1 haPort=tangel-lapp:5.011 helpers=tangel-lapp:5011 mountpoint=null heapMB=7.007 cacheSize=5.143.454.023 -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4

I was a bit surprised because of the fact that i definetly succeeded in running kvstore in this configuration, leading to store using 7007MB of memory.

It was only possible to run kvstore when creating store configuration with memory configured to be less than 2GB.

After searching google with error message mentioned above i came across some hints regarding activation of Huge Pages on Windows 7, which mentioned that it could be
done on systems having at least Windows 7 Professional Edition.

But finally i found a more helpful hint, referring to size of windows pagefile. As my machine uses an SSD as system disk and there some notes on deactivating pagefile when
using an SSD, i did so some time ago.

So i activated the pagefile on windows again and after doing so, the store came up without any problems.

Maybe it's nothing new to some of you guys, but as there was nothing to be read about this fact in neither admin nor getting started guide, i just wanted to share this
piece of information with you.

Regards
Thomas

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points