This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2013 2:39 PM by 990401 RSS

Remote ASM disks discovery path on grid installation

990401 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, i have two nodes for a cluster creation, identical configuration deployed...previous to the grid installation i ran the runcluvfy script and passed, also created the asm disks in each node, however once in the installation program i can only discover the local asm disks. I read that with the 'scandisks' command, oracleasm, should check all nodes for disks...but nop..
Any help?
Thank you for your time.
  • 1. Re: Remote ASM disks discovery path on grid installation
    P.Forstmann Guru
    What is your 4 digits Oracle version ?
    I understand that you are using ASMLIB: what is the exact shared storage that you are using ?

For a RAC cluster, disks to be used by ASM must always be shared disks before ASM will use them: they cannot be local to one node and you cannot expect ASM or ASMLib to make them available on the other cluster node(s).
  • 2. Re: Remote ASM disks discovery path on grid installation
    990401 Newbie
    I'm not sure about wich 4 digits you're asking...

OU Linux kernel => 2.6.39-300.26.1
    As for the Database is the 11gR2 (not four digits though)

The shared storage is an external 1TB USB 3.0 disk (all this is a study project, not for actual production)

Ok, so i should shared the disk without tagging it as an ASM disk, and then once mounted in the other node create the ASM disk...it's that right?

As for the type of share would you recommend NFS or OCFS2?

Thanks again.
  • 3. Re: Remote ASM disks discovery path on grid installation
    P.Forstmann Guru
    DelayLama wrote:
    Ok, so i should shared the disk without tagging it as an ASM disk, and then once mounted in the other node create the ASM disk...it's that right?
    Yes.
    As for the type of share would you recommend NFS or OCFS2?
    If you are building a cluster with virtual machines I would recommend just to create virtual disk on your USB disk with virtual machine software to share the disks.
    If you are building without virtual machines using some NFS layer like Openfiler is something more used than OCFS2 but requires more work.
  • 4. Re: Remote ASM disks discovery path on grid installation
    990401 Newbie
    I'm using actual machines, and by NFS I had in mind the Linux NFS service
    But anyway thank you for the assistance, I'll change this thread to solved.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points