This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 11:40 AM by 990415 RSS

T4-1 - No X display output

990415 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Brand new server T4-1 using the built-in VGA device.
Loaded Solaris SPARC 10 u10, patched to 147440-27
Changed eeprom / OBP to use screen & keyboard for output.
Text displays just fine, but no X11 display output (GUI) on the Sun 19" display I have connected for now. Once it reaches it's final location it will be racked, & hooked to a KVM.

The error on the screen says check the /var/dt/Xerror log. From the log file:

The loadable module for the display device SUNWast is not installed.
Fatal server error:
InitOutput: Error loading module for /dev/fb

A pkginfo -l SUNWast shows there is a package for Automated Security Enhancement Tools loaded on the system. Version 11.10.0,REV=2005.01.21.15.53

I am assuming this is a "driver problem" of some sort. I have searched for a problem resolution with limited results, one stating that relinking the /dev/fb would work, but it didn't. No packages could be found looking for SUNWast, but the MOS interface is notoriously bad for finding what you are looking for.

What am I missing here? Need to resolve ASAP.
  • 1. Re: T4-1 - No X display output
    Pascal Kreyer - Oracle Expert
    Check for SUNWastfb package
  • 2. Re: T4-1 - No X display output
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Moderator Comment:
    user13624468 wrote:
    Need to resolve ASAP.
    These forums are for end-user inquiries, NOT a way to get to Oracle Technical Support.
    Your time pressures are your issue and not anyone else's.

If you truly have a critical business need for speedy investigation of some problem, then use your service contract and/or system warranty credentials to log a support request (SR).
    https://support.oracle.com

Expecting the user community to be at your beck-and-call is poor etiquette at best.
  • 3. Re: T4-1 - No X display output
    990415 Newbie
    Thanks for the reply. I should have posted this as well

pkginfo -l SUNWastfb

AST Graphics System Software Device Driver
    v10.0.0,REV=2009.02.20
  • 4. Re: T4-1 - No X display output
    990415 Newbie
    rukbat wrote:
    Moderator Comment:
    user13624468 wrote:
    Need to resolve ASAP.
    These forums are for end-user inquiries, NOT a way to get to Oracle Technical Support.
    Your time pressures are your issue and not anyone else's.

If you truly have a critical business need for speedy investigation of some problem, then use your service contract and/or system warranty credentials to log a support request (SR).
    https://support.oracle.com

Expecting the user community to be at your beck-and-call is poor etiquette at best.
    Wow, someone is a bit thin-skinned this morning. You mistake a time sensitive REQUEST, for a commandment. Have you ever tried to get help through the MOS interface. I am thinking maybe someone else has had these issues, and can answer faster (and probably more accurate) than the SR going into the corporate cog of out-sourced support.

And you are correct that this is "my problem", so if you don't have anything useful to add kindly turn your flame off.
  • 5. Re: T4-1 - No X display output
    Pascal Kreyer - Oracle Expert
    Then try this :

# ln -s /dev/fbs/ast0 /dev/fb
    # fbconfig -xserver Xorg
    # reboot
  • 6. Re: T4-1 - No X display output
    990415 Newbie
    Pascal Kreyer - Oracle wrote:
    Then try this :

# ln -s /dev/fbs/ast0 /dev/fb
    # fbconfig -xserver Xorg
    # reboot
    Thank you again.
    We tried linking the fb during initial troubleshooting after it failed during install with no luck.
    This now worked.
  • 7. Re: T4-1 - No X display output
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    user13624468 wrote:
    You mistake a time sensitive REQUEST, for a commandment.
    ASAP does not translate to a "request", but rather to an expectation that someone will drop everything they're doing to take care of you.
    That hints of arrogance. If you are offended by guidance than perhaps you need to find another venue for your inquiries.
    Have you ever tried to get help through the MOS interface. I am thinking maybe someone else has had these issues, and can answer faster (and probably more accurate) than the SR going into the corporate cog of out-sourced support.
    That may all be true, but you might need to just chill a bit and just realize that your postings are no more, and no less, important than anyone else's. Your forum questions will get a reply or they won't. That's how a community-based forum is expected to function.
  • 8. Re: T4-1 - No X display output
    990415 Newbie
    Yea, you are right.... I expected everyone to drop what they are doing. eyes rolled

I was "offended by guidance" ..... No my friend, your original post was far from guidance, and if anything "hints of arrogance".

So if it makes you feel better to put me on blast, then good job. It was a successful keyboard-commando mission.
    Have a nice day.

Pascal - Thank you.l

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points