This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 5:27 AM by EdStevens RSS

Xming Vs ssh connect to RHEL server from Windows machine

975148 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am able to connect a RHEL server from my Windows machine using Putty (via ssh). My question is what is the advantage of using Xming instead of Putty? Is it that Xming would enable a graphical connect from the Windows machine to RHEL server?

I hope my question is clear that what is the advantage of using Xming over Putty.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards
  • 1. Re: Xming Vs ssh connect to RHEL server from Windows machine
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    when you connect by putty with X11 forward enabled and you have a Display manager running on the host machine, like Xming, then any graphical application that you run on the remote machine, will be tunneled by the ssh session to your windows desktop.

useful for when you need for example execute a graphical installation, say execute runInstaller

test running xterm, firefox and you should get the idea
  • 2. Re: Xming Vs ssh connect to RHEL server from Windows machine
    Dude! Guru
    To be more precise, ssh with X11 forwarding sets up a proxy X server running on the remote machine. Ssh automatcially configures the DISPLAY variable in your remote shell, e.g. localhost:10.0. When you run a X client application it connects to the remote X proxy, which in turn instructs the SSH client to forward the X11 protocol to the X server (xming) running on your local machine. Btw, ssh with X forwarding is based on Xauth authentication and does not use xhost.
  • 3. Re: Xming Vs ssh connect to RHEL server from Windows machine
    EdStevens Guru
    972145 wrote:
    I am able to connect a RHEL server from my Windows machine using Putty (via ssh). My question is what is the advantage of using Xming instead of Putty? Is it that Xming would enable a graphical connect from the Windows machine to RHEL server?

I hope my question is clear that what is the advantage of using Xming over Putty.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards
    Or to put it yet another way, cutting to the chase ..

It's not a matter of xMing OR putty. They do different things. Putty gives you an ssh command line connection to the server. Xming serves an x-windows server to receive and display any x-windows graphical output that is initiated by the putty session. If you are not expecting any GUI output you don't need xming at all. And in the oracle world, the only GUI output I expect is when I run runInstaller, dbca, or asmca.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points