9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2013 7:24 AM by 990699 RSS

DISPLAY issue Oracle Database 11gR2 Installation On Oracle Linux 6

Hello All,

I am trying to install Oracle 11gR2 on Oracle Linux 6. I get the below error when running the installer.

[oracle@oelinux database]$ pwd
      /home/oracle/install/database
      [oracle@oelinux database]$ ls
      doc install response rpm runInstaller sshsetup stage welcome.html
      [oracle@oelinux database]$ ./runInstaller
      Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 120 MB. Actual 38234 MB Passed
      Checking swap space: must be greater than 150 MB. Actual 3023 MB Passed
      Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors
      >>> Could not execute auto check for display colors using command /usr/bin/xdpyinfo. Check if the DISPLAY variable is set. Failed <<<<

Appreciate your help in advance. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: DISPLAY issue Oracle Database 11gR2 Installation On Oracle Linux 6
          User12611628-Oracle
          Did you set your DISPLAY environment variable? If not, set the DISPLAY environment variable:

DISPLAY=<host-name>:0.0; export DISPLAY

And check by running gedit or any GUI tool to make sure the variable is set correctly before you run the installer.
          • 2. Re: DISPLAY issue Oracle Database 11gR2 Installation On Oracle Linux 6
            Yes, I have set the DISPLAY=oelinux:0.0; export=DISPLAY
            No success.
            • 3. Re: DISPLAY issue Oracle Database 11gR2 Installation On Oracle Linux 6
              User12611628-Oracle
              Are you able to run gedit or any GUI tool as 'oracle' user? If not, what error do you see?
              • 4. Re: DISPLAY issue Oracle Database 11gR2 Installation On Oracle Linux 6
                Catch-22
                To set the DISPLAY variable and use xhost authentication, as far as I'm concerned is obsolete and really not required anymore. Instead use SSH with X11 forwarding. It will automatically setup a proxy X server and configure the DISPLAY variable automatically.

You can use X forwarding on the local system/console or to connect to a remote machine, provided your local system has X server running. For instance:

$ ssh -X oracle@localhost
                $ ssh -X oracle@host_address

Again, using SSH with X forwarding, there is no need to set the DISPLAY variable, and you actually must not. Depending on your OL 6 update release version you should verify that you have Xauth installed: yum install xauth. Note that you cannot use the su command as it will break Xauth authentication, which is cockie based.
                • 5. Re: DISPLAY issue Oracle Database 11gR2 Installation On Oracle Linux 6
                  Billy~Verreynne
                  Dude wrote:
                  You can use X forwarding on the local system/console or to connect to a remote machine, provided your local system has X server running. For instance:

$ ssh -X oracle@localhost
                  $ ssh -X oracle@host_address
                  @OP: in addition to this suggestion, consider enabling protocol compression that can provide a bit of performance improvement. Add the -C switch.
                  • 6. Re: DISPLAY issue Oracle Database 11gR2 Installation On Oracle Linux 6
                    Billy~Verreynne
                    987696 wrote:

I am trying to install Oracle 11gR2 on Oracle Linux 6. I get the below error when running the installer.
                    I prefer using VNC.

This creates a virtual desktop on the server, that you remotely view using a viewer.

Using normal X11 protocol and display, means that if the network breaks or your X-server (running on your client) fails, you loose that X11 session. And this can happen when the installer is 95% complete, trashing an installation that was a few minutes away from successful completion.

With VNC you can exit/kill your viewer, go home, VPN into the office network, reconnect to the virtual desktop, and see how far the installation got and continue your X11 session.

To use:

In your server's grid or oracle o/s user, run the command vncserver. It will prompt for a password to be assigned. This is the password you will need to use when connecting via a viewer. It will then display the hostname to connect to and the virtual X11 server display created, e.g. my-server.my-domain.com:1 for display 1.

Download and install vncserver on a client (anything from Windows to Apple Mac). Connect using my-server.my-domain.com:1 - and run the Oracle Installer via the xterm window.
                    • 7. Re: DISPLAY issue Oracle Database 11gR2 Installation On Oracle Linux 6
                      Catch-22
                      I prefer using VNC.
                      VNC certainly has it's beauty and advantages. I was under the impression though that the OP is trying to run OUI on a local server console that is runnig a graphical desktop. If that wasn't the case, VNC was certainly a preferable option.

If I'm not mistaken then the vncserver does not need to have the X server running since the necessary support is built-in. The installation of X libraries is probably still required, but I'm not sure.

If the question is only about the DISPLAY variable, then SSH is the best answer. It may also be the only available opion if you have to deal with an existing firewall setup that only allows ssh for incoming access. You can also tunnel VNC though ssh if necessary.

Btw, Apple Mac OS X provides seamless X11 support and uses VNC for screen sharing and even for installing a system remotely. If you use Apple Mac to access a remote Linux system, using ssh with X forwarding is very convenient as it works right out of the box without having to configure the remote Linux server.
                      • 8. Re: DISPLAY issue Oracle Database 11gR2 Installation On Oracle Linux 6
                        Billy~Verreynne
                        Dude wrote:

VNC certainly has it's beauty and advantages. I was under the impression though that the OP is trying to run OUI on a local server console that is runnig a graphical desktop. If that wasn't the case, VNC was certainly a preferable option.
                        I have not done a local GUI console installation of Oracle in years. In fact, I'm known to start foaming at the mouth when discovering a server running X on the console, disabling it interactively, preventing initlevel 5 from ever loading X again, and leave comments of my disgust in inittab. ;-)
                        If I'm not mistaken then the vncserver does not need to have the X server running since the necessary support is built-in. The installation of X libraries is probably still required, but I'm not sure.
                        It needs a X display manager. And xterm. twm does fine as display manager. Small and minimalistic. Not the greatest of ideas loading an entire Gnome desktop in VNC.
                        Btw, Apple Mac OS X provides seamless X11 support and uses VNC for screen sharing and even for installing a system remotely. If you use Apple Mac to access a remote Linux system, using ssh with X forwarding is very convenient as it works right out of the box without having to configure the remote Linux server.
                        Nice. OS/X has come a long way the last few years. I recall a time when they pretended there was no "stinking" command line. :-)
                        • 9. Re: DISPLAY issue Oracle Database 11gR2 Installation On Oracle Linux 6
                          Thanks for all the responses. I have installed VNCserver on the console and VNCviewer on the local machine and it worked fine.