This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 2:42 AM by bigdelboy RSS

Advanced plsql

990741 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hey guys,
i am new to plsql and wanted to explore the advanced plsql section...wud u guys help me out by suggesting some name of books dat can help me explore and add on to my knowledge..
Thanking u in advance
  • 1. Re: Advanced plsql
    bigdelboy Pro
    987738 wrote:
    Hey guys,
    i am new to plsql and wanted to explore the advanced plsql section...wud u guys help me out by suggesting some name of books dat can help me explore and add on to my knowledge..
    Thanking u in advance
    Hello Person would cannot spell, this is 'u'.

Strange it is for man to build house before foundations, for woman to train on jumbo jet full of passengers before solo'ing in a Chipmunk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainer_%28aircraft%29), or for PL/SQL newbie to learn the advanced before the basics.

Matthew Morris has some certiifcation orientated links here for the PL/SQL OCA exam : http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:EXAM_DETAILS:0::NO::P2_EXAM:1Z0-144 ... otherwise some reputable online bookselling sites have reviews and ratings which give some idea of the trustworthiness, though always check for the date of the publication!
  • 2. Re: Advanced plsql
    990741 Newbie
    I don't want to go in for certifications as of now...just asked for books by which i can strengthen my base of plsql along with having a basic idea of advanced plsql...
  • 3. Re: Advanced plsql
    matthew_morris Expert
    just asked for books by which i can strengthen my base of plsql along with having a basic idea of advanced plsql...
    Well the link bigdelboy provided has a set of links for third-party references (aka books). Not really sure why he gave you the 1Z0-144 link instead of 1Z0-146, which is for the advanced PL/SQL exam. The books listed there include both certification-specific books and ones that are just intended to teach PL/SQL but which have topics relevant to the exams. The link for 1Z0-146 is:

http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:EXAM_DETAILS:0::NO::P2_EXAM:1Z0-146

Of the books listed at that URL, I have seen many people make positive comments about "Oracle PL/SQL Programming: Covers Versions Through Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (Animal Guide)". I have not read it myself, so cannot give an opinion.
  • 4. Re: Advanced plsql
    bigdelboy Pro
    987738 wrote:
    Hey guys,
    Thanking u in advance
    (WRT Matthew:) Not really sure why he gave you the 1Z0-144 link instead of 1Z0-146, which is for the advanced PL/SQL exam.
    I read the following as a mixed message, possibly distracted by form of english used ( look who's talking?)

i am new to plsql ... vs + ... and wanted to explore the advanced plsql section+

My rule of thumb is concentrate on basics rather than dream about advanced.

Hence the link to the '144' references rather than the '146' references.
    (WRT OP:) .... I don't want to go in for certifications as of now...
    This is a certification forum so you may expect certification orientated answers.
    That said I ( and I think many others) respect the quest for knowledge, best practice and experience over a paper certification certificate.
    ... certification is but one step on the learning journey ... and not the last step at that .... and some people have done very well on their learning journey bypassing that step (others have not).

That said we are often happy to try to point people toward reasonable learning resources to the best of our ability. But it is a while since some of us learned it from scratch .. w may not know the best learning resources for newbies (about from OU ;-) ) .. (I think I first used it about 1991).
    (WRT OP:)...just asked for books by which i can strengthen my base of plsql along with having a basic idea of advanced plsql...
    I can would better with this eloboration of your requirement.

Oracle PL/SQL Programming: Covers Versions Through Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (Animal Guide) :: (Feuerstein/Pribyl 5th edition): This covers a majority of topics to advanced level. Great for referencing an advanced topic. IMHO Downside is it may look daunting for a newbie, and may skip over the simpler topics too fast for some newbies ... but see other reviews:

Oracle Database 11g PL/SQL Programming (Oracle Press):
    I own this book as week. Perhaps my problem is the size of the appendix. Great if you want to interface from php or something .... It might be less daunting than (Feuerstein/Pribyl).
    I tend to goto Feuerstein/Pribyl as first choice ... though I sometimes might goto this first as the explanation might be found mor concisely. (or I might google selectively .... e.g. "site:oracle.com 112 external procedures" ... normally gets me some 11gR2 documentation on external procedures near he top of the return list (Interestlngly this pulls back E11882 (earlier) in preference to E14072 (later) ... so going through http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/homepage is probably better practice.
    [ I think I have given my wife a filing opportunity on this book so cannot comment in detail on review points]

If you know basic PL/SQL well, and want only a skim of the advanced topics, then Furnell The Concise Expert Guide to PL/SQL might suit.
    I wrote the review at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concise-Expert-Guide-SQL-ebook/dp/B005G9U8KW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361179618&sr=1-1 so this post is not independent of that review.
    HOWEVER
    The first chapter of that book recommends for those whose PL/SQL is not so good: Beginning PL/SQL: From Novice to Professional (Expert's Voice in Oracle) ISBN-13: 978-1590598825 (Bales)
    .... I haven't read/seen that book. Some reviews indicate some flaws and some occasional bad practice and I think some have tottally disliked the style . However reading Hooper's review on amazon.com it looked like a good recommendation .... one would read Jensen's review and think it was not to be touched with a bargepole. If I do happen goto the smoke on wednesday and can divert via the Charing X Cross road or something on way to moorgate I might take a peek.

~~~~~~~~~~

PS: ... oh yes .. and wrt "... dat can help me explore and add on to my knowledge" .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concise_Oxford_English_Dictionary ;-)
    PPS: Note to self: (... read what original poster has written before answering ... not what you thing he has written. Use Spellchecker (manual or automated). Read wot you have written before Post Message Button!)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points