This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 6:24 PM by Hemant K Chitale Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Big Redo
    Mihael Pro
    Currently Being Moderated
    Can you share what are the sizes of your PROD redo logs? I am just curious how did you size it. I know it depends on how active is your database.
    Is it default 50Mb? or 100Mb or 200Mb or 500Mb or 1Gb.
    Not taking into account issues of performance, size of redo logs determines the size of archive logs. This size should allow you to easy manage the archive logs - copy them to other locations, between systems, archive etc. Small size can lead to a lot of files, control file size can grow. 300 - 500 Mb is good choice.
  • 16. Re: Big Redo
    yxes2013 Newbie
    Thanks michael,

So I want to choose 500mb and make my log members 20 (total of 10g), so that It can hold all the days transactions. Just in case If I want recovery I wont needing the archive logs.
    Is it a good idea?
  • 17. Re: Big Redo
    Mihael Pro
    yxes2013 wrote:
    Thanks michael,

So I want to choose 500mb and make my log members 20 (total of 10g), so that It can hold all the days transactions. Just in case If I want recovery I wont needing the archive logs.
    Is it a good idea?
    good idea will be to put your production DB in archivelog mode :)
    number of redo goups is limited by MAXLOGFILES used when database was created, you can change this by creating new controlfile
  • 18. Re: Big Redo
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    I want to choose 500mb and make my log members 20 (total of 10g
    You mean Log GROUPS, not Members.

You should be running the database in ARCHIVELOG mode and taking frequent Database and ArchiveLog backups.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 19. Re: Big Redo
    yxes2013 Newbie
    Thanks hemant,

Ok , the default log group is 3 right? and 1 member each.

I want to make my log group 20 with 1 member each size 1gb. How does it fare for performance? Any comments please :)

And for the sake of argument I am not turning on archiving. Because I do cold backup every night. I just want my redo logs contained all the transaction for the day.
    Any problem with this kind of setup?
  • 20. Re: Big Redo
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    The more Online Redo Log Groups, the greater the probability of one online group being corrupted.

Offhand, I can't recall any downside of 20 Groups although I do find that unusual. Normally, the highest count I see is 6 or 8.

Hemant K Chitale
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points