3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 5:58 AM by Srini VEERAVALLI RSS

Dimensional Modelling  issue

Hi,

I am working with Stock Exchange data, as per the availability of data, I found 2 dimensions that is
      *(1)Time*
      *(2)Company*

In my fact table, some of the fact(measures) are changing based on Date(Day) and some of the them are changing based on Time

My questions:
      [1] : Can a dimension model have only 2 dimensions ?
      [2] : Can I make 2 fact tables, Fact-1 will store measures based on the Date(Day) and Fact-2 will store measures based on the Time ?

Please share your valuable suggestions..

Thanks.

Edited by: 952012 on Feb 14, 2013 1:19 AM

Edited by: 952012 on Feb 14, 2013 1:51 AM
        • 1. Re: Dimensional Modelling  issue
          Is this a right forum to ask dimensional Modelling doubts?
          If no, please tell me the valid one
          • 2. Re: Dimensional Modelling  issue
            Dhar
            Hi,

To answer your questions

[1] : Can a dimension model have only 2 dimensions ?

Yes, A dimensional model can work with just one dimension.

[2] : Can I make 2 fact tables, Fact-1 will store measures based on the Date(Day) and Fact-2 will store measures based on the Time ?

Going by the principles of modeling, no two facts with different grains should be merged. So, in case your Day & Time are different levels, then yes, make two fact tables at these levels.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
            Dhar
            • 3. Re: Dimensional Modelling  issue
              Srini VEERAVALLI
              For your questions:
              1->Yes, there is no restrictions. Make sure a dimension is joined to any other object. It can be self join using Alias.
              2->Creat a logical fact able in BMM and add DayFact and TimeFact as logical sources and set proper content levels if needed.

Since you are going with 2 different granularity, for time you might need a new dimension table as good as W_DAY_D interms minutes.
              I think you might need it for analysis based on time and this also helps you to roll up to the day level.
              Generally 20130214 is surrogate key for w_day_d for today's record, similarly for Time level you have to go for each minute like
              1-->00:01 AM
              60-->01:00AM
              101-->01:01AM
              .... like that to cover 23:59 PM

Let me know if need more info.

If helps mark