9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 4:03 AM by Michel RSS

Peoplesoft HRMS 9.0 on External Hard Disk

user10690646
      I have 4 GB of RAM and 1 TB hard disk in my Laptop.

I just want to know that can i use external hard disk for Peoplesoft HRMS 9.0 package (Appserver + Tools + Weblogic + Database Server) and use it as plung and play with may laptop.
      Laptop has Windows 7 as OS.

Can you please guide me with how Peoplsoft HRMS is compatible with Windows 7 or External Hard Drive?
      Please provide me the alternative also.

Thanks in Advance
      Parth
        • 1. Re: Peoplesoft HRMS 9.0 on External Hard Disk
          Michel
          PeopleSoft HRMS9.0 is certified with PeopleTools 8.48, 8.49, 8.50, 8.51, 8.52 and 8.53. None of those tools versions have Windows 7 as a certified server OS. If you're planning on setting up a PeopleSoft environment I'd recommend using either VMware or VirtualBox to create a Virtual machine with a server OS. This can be done on a USB disk. The performance may not be that great depending on what version of USB you're going to use (I'd recommend USB3.0).
          • 2. Re: Peoplesoft HRMS 9.0 on External Hard Disk
            Nicolas.Gasparotto
            In addition of Michel's post, simply install Peoplesoft on external drive is not an option.
            What about Oracle database ? Software ? On Windows, there's always needed in the registry.

Nicolas.
            • 3. Re: Peoplesoft HRMS 9.0 on External Hard Disk
              HakanBiroglu
              If you want to use "Plug and Play" I would suggest to have PeopleSoft installed on a virtual machine (VMWare, VirtualBox, etc) and run this virtual machine on your external hard disk.
              The vm can run on Windows Server, Linux, etc whereas your laptop is still running on Windows 7 (64 bit)
              I would advice you to extend the RAM op your laptop, to at least 8 GB. Do not forget you want to run an ERP system on a laptop, that should run on several servers.

I have numerous PeopleSoft systems running this way.

Hakan
              • 4. Re: Peoplesoft HRMS 9.0 on External Hard Disk
                user10690646
                Yes Nicolas. That's a big question. I read you posts regardin that already.
                I think you already got my requirement.
                Can you please elaborate more that how can i use all components with external hard drive and laptop?

Thanks
                Parth
                • 5. Re: Peoplesoft HRMS 9.0 on External Hard Disk
                  user10690646
                  Hi Hakan,

Thanks for the prompt response.
                  I will be really grateful if you can provide me you personal email for more help.
                  Mine is xxxxx@yyyyy.zzz

Parth

mod. action: crypting email address
                  Edited by: N Gasparotto on Feb 14, 2013 10:35 AM
                  • 6. Re: Peoplesoft HRMS 9.0 on External Hard Disk
                    HakanBiroglu
                    Just ask your questions here, so that everyone can learn from the issues/discussions.
                    • 7. Re: Peoplesoft HRMS 9.0 on External Hard Disk
                      user10690646
                      Sure Hakan.

So you are saying that we will keep everything on hard drive and my hard drive will work as a terminal server.
                      What can be required from the laptop side?
                      I mean if I install everything on VMware or Virtual Box then is anything is require on windows 7.
                      Because i think then there will not be any registry entry or anything in Windows 7. It will only work as Domain server for VMware.

You can also list down the steps if possible.

Parth
                      • 8. Re: Peoplesoft HRMS 9.0 on External Hard Disk
                        HakanBiroglu
                        All that is needed on your laptop is and installation of VMware (Player) or VirtualBox.
                        All further PeopleSoft installation, configuration reside on the virtual machine that is created with VMware or VirtualBox.
                        From your laptop (Windows 7) you start a virtual machine (Windows Server, Linux etc with PeopleSoft installed) that can reside on your external hard disk.

You do not need any additional installation on your Windows 7 laptop.
                        Just to make sure, your Windows 7 is 64 bit, right?

If you are not that familiar with PeopleSoft installations see this blog post by Jim Marion, which describes how you can use the OVM templates and run these in Virtualbox.
                        http://jjmpsj.blogspot.nl/2012/08/peoplesoft-ovm-virtualbox-conversion.html

Hakan
                        • 9. Re: Peoplesoft HRMS 9.0 on External Hard Disk
                          Michel
                          PeopleSoft only requires the OS on which it is installed to be certified, whether it is virtual or not does not matter. If you're installing Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit on a virtual machine which runs on top of Windows 7 *(64-bit or 32-bit does not matter, it only requires hardware virtualization support)* then you have certified OS in the Virtual machine. Your CPU should have a 64-bit architecture and you'll need plenty of RAM to run such a config (like Hakan said; 8GB is recommended).