This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2013 3:37 AM by peter_raganitsch RSS

German Umlaut in CSV export on mac os

d_wilhelm Pro
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

i have problems with the csv export when i use an apple mac. German Umlaute are not displayed correctly, neither when i open the .csv file with TextApp nor when i open it with Numbers from iWork.

On a windows machine all is fine. Excel and every text editor i tried opens the file fine with the umlaute displaying correct.

The application is set to automatically encode the csv and application language is set to german.

Is there any other setting that i can change to get a correct csv export on an apple mac?

Apex version is 4.0.2.00.07, Oracle version is 11.2.0.1.0.

Thanks for help in advance,
Dirk
  • 1. Re: German Umlaut in CSV export on mac os
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Hi Dirk,

Most likely, the Automatic CSV encoding attribute is set to 'Yes' for your application. If you're running your application in German, then the CSV file will be encoded in WE8MSWIN1252.

Can you try setting Automatic CSV Encoding to "No" (in the Globalization attributes of your application)? The CSV file will then be encoded in UTF-8 - which means that your Windows users may not open it directly but, instead, have to do a data import and specify utf-8 character set.

Joel
  • 2. Re: German Umlaut in CSV export on mac os
    d_wilhelm Pro
    Hello Joel,

thanks for your answer.

Yes, the automatic csv encoding attribute is set to 'Yes'.

Setting it to 'No' does help, the csv is now opened correctly in Numbers on a mac, but as you said on windows the users will not be able to open it directly.

So fixing the issue for mac users will kind of break it for windows users.

Is there a way to set that csv encoding parameter dynamically based on what os the user uses?

Regards,
    Dirk
  • 3. Re: German Umlaut in CSV export on mac os
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Hi Dirk,

Is your CSV export emanating from an Interactive Report?

Joel

P.S. I'm curious - do you have Excel for Mac? I've tried opening a utf-8 encoded CSV file on Mac, and it always becomes corrupted.
  • 4. Re: German Umlaut in CSV export on mac os
    peter_raganitsch Oracle ACE Director

I just had the same Problem and could fix it by setting the automatic CSV encoding to YES (language is set to German "de" ).

I'm using Excel for Mac.

Don't know if that helps, just wanted to contribute.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points