This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 1:56 AM by 935795 RSS

log4j.configuration

935795 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I am trying to bring out the log4j logs generated by enterprise application that I deployed. The log4j logs that I want to display are different from the system logs. The Servers -> Admin Server-> Logging defines a log file. This is system log. The application logs are the ones generated by the application I have deployed. I have a log4j.properties that contains the logfile name, location and other details. I would not prefer to drop the log4j.properties inside the weblogic directory because it is not a good practice.

I shall list down the attempts I had made. But, all of them did not yield results.
I tried to use from this link http://ananthkannan.blogspot.in/2009/09/how-to-configure-log4j-in-weblogic.html . That was not useful because I can't copy the log4j.properties inside weblogic directory and am not permitted to confuse the application & system logs.
I tried to add parameters in the Servers -> Admin Server-> SeverStart -> Arguments
-DSTP_CONFIG_PATH=C:/TEMP/install_websphere11565/STPConfig/STPSpringConfig.xml -Dlog4j.configuration=C:/TEMP/install_websphere11565/STPConfig/log4j.properties

Both the above attempts did not generate the log file.

May I request you where to tell weblogic to please use the log4j.configuration and what else to do.

Thanks,
Raj
  • 1. Re: log4j.configuration
    935795 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi people,
    I have got it working.

Servers -> Your Server-> SeverStart -> Arguments
    -Dlog4j.configuration=file:C:/TEMP/install_websphere11565/STPConfig/log4j.properties

What made the difference was I had to prefix 'file' for the log4j.properties location. I don't know its significance because springConfig is located without 'file', but it worked.

Regards,
    Raj

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points