6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 2:14 AM by 698658 RSS

Backup of backupset and FRA

Hi,
      seems like I need some clarifications about two scenarios:

1. When we do backup of backupset from disk to tape how recovery procedure looks like ?
      - are we able to restore directly from tape or we need to restore from tape onto disk and do restore with that backupset after that
      2. in case of FRA backup to tape
      - do we have to restore that backup back to fra and then do restore/recovery or are we able to restore directly from tape ?

Please clarify .
      Regards
      GregG
        • 1. Re: Backup of backupset and FRA
          Sunny kichloo
          What is your OS Version and Oracle Version ??

Are you using any vendor software to take backup??
          • 2. Re: Backup of backupset and FRA
            mseberg
            Hello;

Did RMAN backup to tape or was it a disk backup and the backup files were copied to tape on OS level? if you backed directly to tape RMAN knows where the backups on tape are located,you only have to setup the MML.

If the files were copied to tape from the OS you have to copy back the backup files from tape to disk,the easiest way is to the same location. If that is not possible use the CATALOG command to define new locations on the disk.

So if you backup directly to tape then Yes, you can restore direct form tape. Otherwise using the tape to bring what you need back to the OS.

Best Regards

mseberg
            • 3. Re: Backup of backupset and FRA
              Hi,
              no OS command involved, only rman BACKUP BACKUPSET ALL, so in that case You have to restore to disk , but whats rman command for that ?
              Restore backupset ?
              What about FRA backups taken to tape via rman backup recovery area ?
              Regards
              GregG
              • 4. Re: Backup of backupset and FRA
                Lates oracle version 11.2.0.3 and networker legato, though I dont this that really matters .
                Regards
                GregG
                • 5. Re: Backup of backupset and FRA
                  Hemant K Chitale
                  My guess is that a BACKUP BACKUPSET (to sbt_tape) would cause Oracle to register the tape location of the backuppieces as well.
                  There is no RESTORE BACKUPSET but a RESTORE DATABASE should be able to restore from the tape location (although I suspect it would first look for the backuppieces on disk and then fallback to tape if they are not on disk or are expired from disk).

However, that is the behaviour I expect --- without ever having tested it.

As for the FRA (BACKUP RECOVERY AREA or BACKUP DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST), I expect a similar behaviour -- that Oracle would register the tape location of each backupset-backuppiece that is copied to tape.
                  Note : Per the documentation for 11.2.0.3 BACKUP RECOVERY AREA / DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST can also backup to an alternate disk.

Hemant K Chitale
                  • 6. Re: Backup of backupset and FRA
                    Thats, very interesting point . As far as I know, when doing backup directly to tape some rman optimization dont work, so You can do disk backup and then copy backupset to tape and save some space I think.
                    Especially this operation is out of database scope .
                    Regards
                    GregG