3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 10:00 AM by polo RSS

Rman basic question

polo
      Hello guys i am new to this RMAN world... and have a basic question

We just purchased NAS (Raid5) unit to manage our data storage. I am planning to create a virtual partition on this nas device and use one partition for oracle data storage and another virtual partition will be used by other data (files and may be sqlserver data files....etc..)

We will have oracle installed on seperate oracle server. Can we use RMAN to manage incremental backups in this environment? May main worry point is that our data storage device will have many different type of datas and will we be able to tell RMAN to make backups only from certain virtual drives? So other kind of data doesn't get touched by RMAN..

Thank you guys.... if you have any other suggestion pls let me know

-polo
        • 1. Re: Rman basic question
          EdStevens
          polo wrote:
          Hello guys i am new to this RMAN world... and have a basic question

We just purchased NAS (Raid5) unit to manage our data storage. I am planning to create a virtual partition on this nas device and use one partition for oracle data storage and another virtual partition will be used by other data (files and may be sqlserver data files....etc..)

We will have oracle installed on seperate oracle server. Can we use RMAN to manage incremental backups in this environment? May main worry point is that our data storage device will have many different type of datas and will we be able to tell RMAN to make backups only from certain virtual drives? So other kind of data doesn't get touched by RMAN..

Thank you guys.... if you have any other suggestion pls let me know

-polo
          I'm not sure I understand your concern. You tell rman what to backup (and it will only back up Oracle databases, Oracle archivelogs, and Oracle backupsets), and you tell it where to put the backups. It's not going to backup anything you don't tell it to, and it's not going to overwrite something else.
          • 2. Re: Rman basic question
            TSharma-Oracle
            May main worry point is that our data storage device will have many different type of datas and will we be able to tell RMAN to make backups only from certain virtual drives?

Answer> RMAN backups only databases and database related files. You cannot tell RMAN just to take a backup of any OS or NAS storage drives.
            RMAN will only touch its instance related datafiles and archives files. So you dont have to worry about other files.
            • 3. Re: Rman basic question
              polo
              Thank you guys for your reply....

That is helpful to get confirmation