This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 10:31 PM by 991489 RSS

DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT

991489 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Correct me if I am wrong.

1)During RMAN cloning, the directory structures are taken care by db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_covert parameters.

For example;

SQL>select name from v$datafile;

/u01/oradata/target/prod11/system01.dbf
/u01/oradata/target/prod11/sysaux01.dbf
/u01/oradata/target/prod11/users01.dbf
/u02/oradata/target/prod11/users02.dbf
/u03/oradata/target/prod11/users03.dbf

While cloning(remote host) the database, I would like to change the directory structure as below:

/u01/oradata/auxiliary/prodaux

To achieve this we can use DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT parameter as below:

DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT=(‘/u01/oradata/target/prod11’,’ /u01/oradata/auxiliary/prodaux’)

Am I correct?

2) DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT cannot be used to control generation of new names.

For example;

DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT=(‘/u01/oradata/target/prod11’/ system01.dbf,’ /u01/oradata/auxiliary/prodaux/ systemclone.dbf’)

To achieve this we have to use SET NEW NAME command as below:

SET NEWNAME FOR DATAFILE 1 TO ‘/u01/oradata/auxiliary/prodaux/ systemclone.dbf’;

Am I correct?

With regards
  • 1. Re: DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    Hello,
    To achieve this we can use DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT parameter as below:

DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT=(‘/u01/oradata/target/prod11’,’ /u01/oradata/auxiliary/prodaux’)

Am I correct?
    Yes, you are right. Refer this http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/initparams048.htm

2) DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT cannot be used to control generation of new names.

For example;
    DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT=(‘/u01/oradata/target/prod11’/ system01.dbf,’ /u01/oradata/auxiliary/prodaux/ systemclone.dbf’)
    >
    To achieve this we have to use SET NEW NAME command as below:

SET NEWNAME FOR DATAFILE 1 TO ‘/u01/oradata/auxiliary/prodaux/ systemclone.dbf’;

Am I correct?
    If you want to have the same datafile name as that present in the primary/production database, then no need to use the "set newname " clause.
    If you have to rename, then you have to use the "SET NEWNAME" option. Once you are using the "SET NEWNAME" option, then it is not required to set the "DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT" option as you can specify the full path of the required datafile in the SET NEWNAME option itself.
    Refer this http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmdupad.htm

Regards,
    Shivananda
  • 2. Re: DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT
    991489 Newbie
    Thanks

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points