3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 12:28 PM by Cindys-Oracle RSS

Force ashift=12 when creating a pool / adding vdev

I have a few WD 4TB Black (WD4001FAEX) which use 4K sector size, however solaris 11.1 detect them as 512B (ashift=9).

Under OpenIndiana/OmniOS i can force them to be seen as 4K sector, however I don't find a way to do this in Solaris 11.1.

http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/ZFS+and+Advanced+Format+disks

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Force ashift=12 when creating a pool / adding vdev
          Well.. It appear that thoses drive are still 512B sector size disk.. (not advanced format).

So Solaris 11.1 detecte them properly.

But I would still like to know if there is a way to force a different ashift.

Thanks
          • 2. Re: Force ashift=12 when creating a pool / adding vdev
            Cindys-Oracle
            I think you are saying that you have 4k drives that are still reporting a 512B size. Is this correct?

Then, yes, Solaris 11.1 is handing this correctly. If you want it to report a 4 KB size, then you can attempt these modifications:

1. Use the format-->disk-->inquiry string to identify the Vendor ID and product ID.
            2. Add an sd-config-list entry to /kernel/drv/sd.conf, that includes the VID and PID:

sd-config-list="ABC SUPERDEVICE00001", "physical-block-size:4096", "emulation-rmw:1";

Carefully add whitespace to make the vendor ID (VID) 8 characters long (here ABC) and Product ID (PID) 16 characters long in the sd-config-list entry as above..

3. Reboot the system.

More info about current advanced format disk support in S11.1 is here:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26502_01/html/E29006/gdgtz.html#gizbc

Thanks, Cindy
            • 3. Re: Force ashift=12 when creating a pool / adding vdev
              Cindys-Oracle
              A small revision to step 2 is that you don't need the "emulation-rmw:1" syntax.
              This syntax should work:

sd-config-list="ATA MARVELL SD88SA02", "physical-block-size:4096";

Thanks, Cindy