This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2013 8:03 PM by Riaz RSS

Errors in Standby Alert Log

Riaz Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Dear All,

We have 10gR2 RAC with Physical Data Guard environment using ASM and both have same disk group names. Lets say the primary database name is prim and stand by database name is stdby. We are getting the following errors in alert log file of standby:
Clearing online redo logfile 9 +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/onlinelog/group9_2a.rdo
Clearing online log 9 of thread 2 sequence number 0

Errors in file c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\stdby\bdump\stdby1_mrp0_4288.trc:
ORA-00313: Message 313 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS, facility=ORA; arguments: [9] [2]
ORA-00312: Message 312 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS, facility=ORA; arguments: [9] [2] [+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/onlinelog/group9_2a.rdo]
ORA-17503: Message 17503 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS, facility=ORA; arguments: [2] [+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/onlinelog/group9_2a.rdo]
ORA-15173: entry 'prim does not exist in directory '/'

Errors in file c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\stdby\bdump\stdby1_mrp0_4288.trc:
ORA-00344: Message 344 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS, facility=ORA; arguments: [+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/onlinelog/group9_2a.rdo]
ORA-17502: Message 17502 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS, facility=ORA; arguments: [4] [+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/onlinelog/group9_2a.rdo]
ORA-15173: entry 'prim' does not exist in directory '/'
The errors show that the standby is trying to find files in directory +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/onlinelog which apparently doesn’t exist on standby. Below is the result of query for redo logs on standby:
SQL> SELECT group#, status, member FROM v$logfile where member like '%prim/%'
/

GROUP#   STATUS         MEMEBER
    ----------     -------            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         9                            +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/onlinelog/group9_2a.rdo
         1                            +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/standbylogs/sredo1.rdo
        10                           +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/onlinelog/group10_1a.rdo
         2                            +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/standbylogs/sredo2.rdo
         3                            +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/standbylogs/sredo3.rdo
         4                            +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/standbylogs/sredo4.rdo
        11                           +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/onlinelog/group11_1a.rdo
        12                           +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/onlinelog/group12_2a.rdo

8 rows selected.  
How we can get rid of this error?

Best regards,
  • 1. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    Sunny kichloo Expert
    What is the settings of following parameter in your standby database.

log_file_name_convert and db_file_name_convert
  • 2. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    Riaz Journeyer
    Here they are:
    db_file_name_convert            +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/,+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby/
    log_file_name_convert           +DG_REDOLOGS/prim/, +DG_REDOLOGS/stdby/
  • 3. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    CKPT Guru
    Riaz wrote:
    Here they are:
    db_file_name_convert            +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/,+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby/
    log_file_name_convert           +DG_REDOLOGS/prim/, +DG_REDOLOGS/stdby/
    Change as below, You have to remove extra "/" , That should fix

db_file_name_convert           DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim,DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby
    log_file_name_convert           DG_REDOLOGS/prim, DG_REDOLOGS/stdby

and then retry, post if any errors.
  • 4. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    Sunny kichloo Expert
    Please update your parameter file as mentioned by CKPT and share the output.
  • 5. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    Riaz Journeyer
    Still the same errors:
    db_file_name_convert             +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim, +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby
    log_file_name_convert             +DG_REDOLOGS/prim, +DG_REDOLOGS/stdby

Mon Feb 18 13:17:17 2013
    Errors in file c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\stdby\udump\stdby1_rfs_6352.trc:
    ORA-00344: unable to re-create online log '+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/standbylogs/sredo4.rdo'
    ORA-17502: ksfdcre:4 Failed to create file +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/standbylogs/sredo4.rdo

Clearing online log 4 of thread 2 sequence number 0
    Mon Feb 18 13:17:18 2013
    ORA-00313: open failed for members of log group 4 of thread 2
    ORA-00312: online log 4 thread 2: '+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/standbylogs/sredo4.rdo'
    ORA-17503: ksfdopn:2 Failed to open file +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/standbylogs/sredo4.rdo

Mon Feb 18 13:17:18 2013
    ORA-00344: unable to re-create online log '+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/standbylogs/sredo4.rdo'
    ORA-17502: ksfdcre:4 Failed to create file +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim/standbylogs/sredo4.rdo
    It's trying to find director DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim which apparently doesn't exists on Standby (on standby the directory is DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby).
  • 6. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    CKPT Guru
    Riaz wrote:
    Still the same errors:
    db_file_name_convert             +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim, +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby
    log_file_name_convert             +DG_REDOLOGS/prim, +DG_REDOLOGS/stdby

Mon Feb 18 13:17:17 2013
    have you created directories inside the disk groups?
    ASMCMD> cd +DG_DATAFILE_AND_FB
    ASMCMD> ls

Make sure all folders are exist
  • 7. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    Riaz Journeyer
    Generally when we setup standby, are these directories created automatically (i mean '+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim and '+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby) on standby? My understanding is that by default only '+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby is created.

What if i want to put all logs (that are in stdby and prim) in +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby?
    ASMCMD>  cd +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB
    ASMCMD> ls
    STDBY/
    ASMCMD> pwd
    +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/STDBY
    ASMCMD> ls
    ARCHIVELOG/
    ARCHIVELOGS/
    AUTOBACKUP/
    CONTROLFILE/
    DATAFILE/
    FB/
    ONLINELOG/
    PRIMARY_ARCH_LOGS/
    STANDBYLOGS/
    TEMPFILE/
    ASMCMD> cd DG_REDOLOGS
    ASMCMD> ls
    stdby/
    onlinelog/
    Also i don't know whether it is relevant or not, but we performed a roll forward for standby using metalink doc id: 836986.1 (Steps to perform for Rolling forward a standby database using RMAN incremental backup when primary and standby are in ASM filesystem). But i am not sure whether the error started coming after that or not.

But in the beginning for sure, there were no such errors. Just trying to put as much information as i can.

Best regards,
  • 8. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    CKPT Guru
    Generally when we setup standby, are these directories created automatically (i mean '+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/prim and '+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby) on standby? My understanding is that by default only '+DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby is created.
    What if i want to put all logs (that are in stdby and prim) in +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB/stdby?
    What is the value of DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST and you also set DB_CREATE_ONLINE_LOG_DEST_<> value?

Also i don't know whether it is relevant or not, but we performed a roll forward for standby using metalink doc id: 836986.1 (Steps to perform for Rolling forward a standby database using RMAN incremental backup when primary and standby are in ASM filesystem). But i am not sure whether the error started coming after that or not.

But in the beginning for sure, there were no such errors. Just trying to put as much information as i can.
    Even though you are using same disk groups, But the sub directory names such as "prim","stby" are different,
    After you changed the values of DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT/LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT have you bounced database ? They are static parameters.
    Bounce it and then start MRP, initally errors are expected even it happens during RMAN duplicate.
    logfile member shows in database but not on physical disk, not match

if you haven't used RMAN duplicate then drop and create redo logs, this can be done at any time.
  • 9. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    Riaz Journeyer
    Below are the parameter values (on standby):
    DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST               +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB
    db_create_online_log_dest_N (N=1-6)      NULL
    Yes,i bounced the database after making changes to parameters DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT/LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT. Still i see the same errors in alert log file; the intresting part is archive logs are applied and both Primary and Standby are almost in sync (with different of couple of sequence numbers).
  • 10. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    CKPT Guru
    Riaz wrote:
    Below are the parameter values (on standby):
    DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST               +DG_DATAFILES_AND_FB
    db_create_online_log_dest_N (N=1-6)      NULL
    Yes,i bounced the database after making changes to parameters DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT/LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT. Still i see the same errors in alert log file; the intresting part is archive logs are applied and both Primary and Standby are almost in sync (with different of couple of sequence numbers).
    yeah, Whenever you performed incremental roll forward again you are creating new standby control file type from primary and the same file you will restore.
    But the locations of the Online redo logs or standby redo logs location basically points to the structure of primary, "+DG1/prim", So whenever you performed incremental backups to perform roll forward then also you have to use "set new name" for data files[full RMAN restore], and for redo logs files drop and recreate the same.

Hope you got it.
  • 11. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    Riaz Journeyer
    and for redo logs files drop and recreate the same. 
    Thanks for the guidance.

How can we drop and recreate logs on standby? Do we have to do this for all of them or only for those whose path shows as "+DG1/prim" instead of "+DG1/stdby"?
  • 12. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    CKPT Guru
    Riaz wrote:
    and for redo logs files drop and recreate the same. 
    Thanks for the guidance.

How can we drop and recreate logs on standby? Do we have to do this for all of them or only for those whose path shows as "+DG1/prim" instead of "+DG1/stdby"?
    SQL> alter database drop standby logfile group 1 ;
    SQL> alter database add standby logfile group 1 'location' SIZE 100M REUSE;
  • 13. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    Riaz Journeyer
    Thanks a lot for your time.

Query on standby:
    SQL> ed
    Wrote file afiedt.buf

1* SELECT distinct type from v$logfile where member like '%prim/%'
    SQL> /

TYPE
    -------
    STANDBY
    Can i re-create both types of logs using the syntax you advised?

Best regards,
  • 14. Re: Errors in Standby Alert Log
    CKPT Guru
    Can i re-create both types of logs using the syntax you advised?
    Yes, You can
    and refer more links
    http://www.pythian.com/blog/oracle-standby-redo-logs/
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points