3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 3:03 AM by Jiri.Machotka-Oracle RSS

Deleting old documents from workflow - Archiver utility works???

MAK
      hello Experts,

I have used Archive component in past and it works pretty well.
      Now I have to remove documents which are in workflow from past 6 months. There are many documents and we have to clear this overhead.

I knew Archive is good option so I looked into it first ... but Archive (query preview) didn't give me documents in 'Review' status. I tried queries based on dStatus, dWorkflowState, dReleaseState but it didn't show any result.

Do you think we have any setting for documents in workflow?? OR please let me know how can I delete such documents which are old but in workflow. (information related to associated Table name will be helpful)

Thanks,
      MAK
        • 1. Re: Deleting old documents from workflow - Archiver utility works???
          Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
          See here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e10792/c08_migration.htm#CHDHJHDI

It clearly states "You can export revisions that are in RELEASED, DONE, EXPIRED, and GENWWW status. You cannot export revisions that are in an active workflow (REVIEW, EDIT, or PENDING status) or that are DELETED."
          • 2. Re: Deleting old documents from workflow - Archiver utility works???
            MAK
            Hello Jiri,

Thanks for your response.

This means Archiver doesn't touch workflow content but for my case, what should be the simplest approach ??

I was planning to delete document revisions (with Review status and under workflow) from revision table but this will not make my system in synch as we might have reference for these document in other tables as well. Can you suggest the all tables which I need to see for deleting my desired documents.

Thanks,
            MAK
            • 3. Re: Deleting old documents from workflow - Archiver utility works???
              Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
              IMHO, deletion of a document which is in a workflow is a very bad practice - you will confuse your contributors, if nothing else.

If you really have good reasons, you can write a custom component, which will either release the documents according to your selected criteria, or deletes them right away. I'd stick as much as possible to the standard functionality - check how Repository Manager behaves, if that is done manually.

I'd definitely not go with direct database deletions - you will very easily end up with the inconsistent database, plus, your items are in a workflow, whose state is kept on the filesystem. I believe that RepoMan will use a service, so you might do the same.