9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 7:07 AM by Matthew D. RSS

Output of form 11g shows special character "?"

I have installed oracle 11g database, Weblogic Server and forms 11g. Created a simple form and after running it shows special character "?" in output of browser.

Any help is appreciated.

Ifti
        • 1. Re: Output of form 11g shows special character "?"
          andrewmy
          I am assuming this is because of a non-English language stored in the database that is not displayed correctly, so...

Is the database and forms on the same machine?
          What language are you displaying?
          What is your database character set?
          How are you running your form? From your PC? Using the Forms builder? From a web browser?
          What is your forms character set?
          • 2. Re: Output of form 11g shows special character "?"
            Is the database and forms on the same machine? (Yes)
            What language are you displaying? (AMERICAN)
            What is your database character set? (WE8MSWIN1252)
            How are you running your form? From your PC? Using the Forms builder? From a web browser? (using form builder)
            What is your forms character set? (How to check?)
            • 3. Re: Output of form 11g shows special character "?"
              Any body else willing to provide help?
              • 4. Re: Output of form 11g shows special character "?"
                Matthew D.
                Check forms NLS_LANG in env file.

Regards
                • 5. Re: Output of form 11g shows special character "?"
                  andrewmy
                  I have setup a separate command file to set the environment variable NLS_LANG to match the database the form will be connected to before I start the forms builder (this example is for a Windows environment)

Try creating a command file with your text editor e.g. run_frmbld.bat
                  @echo off
                  SET NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252
                  C:\oracle\Middleware\as_1\bin\frmbld.exe
                  Change "C:\oracle\Middleware\as_1" to match your forms Oracle home

If you are still displaying ? characters you may have undisplayable characters in the database table (assuming the value is coming from a table in the database)
                  • 6. Re: Output of form 11g shows special character "?"
                    I have tried with the batch file run_frmbld.bat but to no avail. there are no undisplayable characters in the database table either. Only I get a blank page with "?" as image when run any form.
                    Any further help is appreciated.
                    • 7. Re: Output of form 11g shows special character "?"
                      Christian Erlinger
                      it shows special character "?" in output of browser.
                      First of all it would be interesting what that means.

To start with does the testform work; e.g. run
                      http://localhost:<wls_port>/forms/frmservlet
                      in your browser and see if the testform comes up. <wls_port> would depend on the 4 digit version number of forms 11g and the installation type you chose. For forms 11.1.1.x or 11.1.2.x in deployment mode the port would be the port WLS_FORMS runs on which is 9001 by default. In 11.1.2.x development mode this would be the port of the AdminServer which is 7001 by default (you see providing those informations in the first place might have spared me the last sentences...)

If this experiment is successful you could run a small dummy form you built yourself; this would require you to have configured your formsweb.cfg properly (did you do that?) and having your forms builder configured to run with the webconfig you set up (did you do that too?)

cheers
                      • 8. Re: Output of form 11g shows special character "?"
                        Sorry for delay. I have been searching and trying.
                        Below is my form
                        Forms [32 Bit] Version 11.1.2.0.0 (Production)
                        http://10.3.0.22:7001/forms/frmservlet

and output from browser is here;

Error 404--Not Found
                        From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:
                        10.4.5 404 Not Found
                        The server has not found anything matching the Request-URI. No indication is given of whether the condition is temporary or permanent.

If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 403 (Forbidden) can be used instead. The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows, through some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource is permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address.
                        • 9. Re: Output of form 11g shows special character "?"
                          Matthew D.
                          There is wrong port in your URL, 7001 is port for AdminServer, not for WLS_FORMS server (it is usually 9001), but you have to check.

Login to http://10.3.0.22:7001/console with weblogic account and then check port for WLS_FORMS (Domain->Enviroment->Servers) and
                          then you can try http://10.3.0.22:<port for forms>/forms/frmservlet

Regards