This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 5:44 PM by 960874 RSS

Oracle VM

ajith Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I am getting confused between Oracle VM and Virtualbox...

I know that Oracle VM is a type 1 hypervisor which is a bare metal installation one and
Virtuabox works on host and guest Operating systems.

I have installed Oracle VM Server on my 32GB Ram server it was a bare metal installation,
now i also installed Oracle VM manager on another physical machine with 2GB Ram running OEL 6.

The URL is working but i dont know how i can install OS on my main(32GB) server..

My Question is how can i install Operating Sytems(Windows Server 2008,OEL 6,Solaris 11) on my 32GB Ram machine now..

Please help me out.
  • 1. Re: Oracle VM
    Bjoern Rost Oracle ACE Director
    ajith wrote:
    yes, this is confusing. There are at least three different products with almost the same name out there
    Oracle VM
    Oracle VM VirtualBox
    Oracle VM for SPARC

But you got it right so far. Once you connect to the manager GUI (with your browser), you'll need to discover the server, discover and configure virtual storage, networking. Then upload an iso and create your first machine. There is a quick start quide from oracle out there, have a look at this: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E27300_01/E27312/html/index.html

Bjoern
  • 2. Re: Oracle VM
    960874 Newbie
    ajith wrote:

I know that Oracle VM is a type 1 hypervisor which is a bare metal installation one and
    Virtuabox works on host and guest Operating systems.

I have installed Oracle VM Server on my 32GB Ram server it was a bare metal installation,
    now i also installed Oracle VM manager on another physical machine with 2GB Ram running OEL 6.

The URL is working but i dont know how i can install OS on my main(32GB) server..

My Question is how can i install Operating Sytems(Windows Server 2008,OEL 6,Solaris 11) on my 32GB Ram machine now..
    According to Chapter 2.1, Introduction to Oracle VM, of the Oracle VM Users Guide for Release 3.1.1: Oracle VM includes Oracle VM Server [OVS] & Oracle VM Manager [OVM].

You'll need to use Oracle VM Manager [OVM] to create your Microsoft 2008, Oracle Enterprise Linux [OEL], and Solaris virtual machines [VM's]. I recommend reading the manual.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points