This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 6:33 PM by Christian.Shay - Oracle RSS

"A script is already running" while attempting to run more than one item

992026 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We upgrade recently to ODT 11.2.0.3.20. Since then, attempting to run more than one item from the Solution Explorer (by selecting the items, right-clicking, and selecting "Run") results in a popup error of "Oracle Developer Tools. A script is already running". If many items are selected it results in many error messages and only a random few of the items are actually executed on the server. Also, choosing "Run On" now results in it prompting for the target database for each item selected (rather than once for all items selected like it used to). This all used to work fine in the earlier release we were using. Has anyone else run into this? Any fixes? We used to use multi-select and "Run" or "Run On" to deploy multiple items at once, but this no longer works -- doing one at a time works, but if you have hundreds of items to run, this quickly becomes unusable.

Thanks for any insight.

--
- Josh
  • 1. Re: "A script is already running" while attempting to run more than one item
    Christian.Shay - Oracle Pro
    user3003154 wrote:
    We upgrade recently to ODT 11.2.0.3.20. Since then, attempting to run more than one item from the Solution Explorer (by selecting the items, right-clicking, and selecting "Run") results in a popup error of "Oracle Developer Tools. A script is already running". If many items are selected it results in many error messages and only a random few of the items are actually executed on the server. Also, choosing "Run On" now results in it prompting for the target database for each item selected (rather than once for all items selected like it used to). This all used to work fine in the earlier release we were using. Has anyone else run into this? Any fixes? We used to use multi-select and "Run" or "Run On" to deploy multiple items at once, but this no longer works -- doing one at a time works, but if you have hundreds of items to run, this quickly becomes unusable.

Thanks for any insight.

--
    - Josh
    I don't believe that the intention was for you to be able to run a bunch of scripts one after the other. Often there are dependencies between scripts anyway and so you you have to order them. I think a lot of people are creating master scripts that references child scripts using the "@" sql plus syntax.... have you tried that?

We are doing a lot of enhancements to our script generation in the coming year. Keep an eye out for a beta to test.

Christian
  • 2. Re: "A script is already running" while attempting to run more than one item
    992026 Newbie
    cshay wrote:
    I don't believe that the intention was for you to be able to run a bunch of scripts one after the other. Often there are dependencies between scripts anyway and so you you have to order them.
    Because we're generally deploying a large set of stored procedures (and not just one-time scripts) the order doesn't really matter -- even if a stored procedure gets created before one it depends on, once all the SPs are on the server, the ones that are "invalid" will compile correctly once you execute them.
    I think a lot of people are creating master scripts that references child scripts using the "@" sql plus syntax.... have you tried that?
    I'll give that a try as a work around. Only issue I have with that solution is every time we add or remove something from the solution, we also have to update the script.
    We are doing a lot of enhancements to our script generation in the coming year. Keep an eye out for a beta to test.
    Like I said, this used to work fine in the older versions of ODT. It seems like the new version is attempting to execute multiple items at once on the same connection simultaneously, thus resulting in the "A script is already running" error. The old version used to be smart enough to execute them one at a time -- so something changed in a more recent version to completely break "Run" and "Run On" when you have more than one item highlighted (even just highlighting 2 items and choosing "Run" runs the first item, but then gives the error for the second item).
    Christian
    - Josh
  • 3. Re: "A script is already running" while attempting to run more than one item
    Christian.Shay - Oracle Pro
    Good news! I have been told that this will be fixed in our 12.1 ODAC release (our next release). Thanks for reporting this to us.

Be sure to check out our Beta 2 (out now) which includes Schema Compare. We create diff scripts (either a single one or a master one with child scripts, one for each schema object). It may be useful to you and we'd like your feedback if so.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points