3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2013 11:34 AM by EdStevens RSS

Re-initilize backups using OEM

Hello everyone.

I've been installing and configuring Oracle 11g in a dev environment on RHL 6. It's been going OK, but I seem to have gotten the backups in a bit of a mess.

Since this is a dev environment, there are no real data changes that I need to keep. So I would just really like to delete all existing backup sets and image copies (I'm backing-up to the flash recovery area on disk) and run with the standard oracle backup as specified in OEM.

The trouble is - I can't figure out how to do this. When I use OEM to select all backup sets, then press delete - they don't go away?

Can some someone in the know explain the steps needed to "Clean up" the existing backup configuration and sets.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I look forward to being able to reciprocate one day.
        • 1. Re: Re-initilize backups using OEM
          EdStevens
          989071 wrote:
          Hello everyone.

I've been installing and configuring Oracle 11g in a dev environment on RHL 6. It's been going OK, but I seem to have gotten the backups in a bit of a mess.

Since this is a dev environment, there are no real data changes that I need to keep. So I would just really like to delete all existing backup sets and image copies (I'm backing-up to the flash recovery area on disk) and run with the standard oracle backup as specified in OEM.

The trouble is - I can't figure out how to do this. When I use OEM to select all backup sets, then press delete - they don't go away?

Can some someone in the know explain the steps needed to "Clean up" the existing backup configuration and sets.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I look forward to being able to reciprocate one day.
          There are some things for which OEM just isn't the best tool. For dealing with backups and recovery, you really need to learn to use rman directly.
          The easiest way is probably to simply delete the backupsets at the os level, the do an rman 'crossheck' followed by 'delete expired'. Details and variants of those rman commnds are found in the [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10643/toc.htm]Backup and Recovery Reference
          • 2. Re: Re-initilize backups using OEM
            <Sigh> OEM gave me the (false) impression that it could handle the job.

Thanks for your advise, looks like I'll need to trawl through the RMAN Docs before getting my hands dirty on the command line.

Cheers!

Edited by: 989071 on Feb 20, 2013 10:58 PM
            • 3. Re: Re-initilize backups using OEM
              EdStevens
              989071 wrote:
              <Sigh> OEM gave me the (false) impression that it could handle the job.

Thanks for your advise, looks like I'll need to trawl through the RMAN Docs before getting my hands dirty on the command line.
              that will make you a better DBA.

"Live by the GUI - die by the GUI"
              Cheers!

Edited by: 989071 on Feb 20, 2013 10:58 PM