14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 11:32 PM by yxes2013 RSS

standby database floating IP

yxes2013
      Hi all,

Im a new hire of this company...
      I am reading a standby setup documentation, and i see scripts like start and stop floating IP.
      What is floating IP's role for standby databases?

Thanks a lot,

zxy

Edited by: yxes2013 on 19.2.2013 19:17
        • 1. Re: standby database floating IP
          yxes2013
          In the docs, I also see :
          export ORACLE_SID=PROD
          emctl stop dbconsole
          emca -deconfig dbcontrol db
          sqlplus / as sysdba @drop_repository.sql
          emca -config dbcontrol db -repos create
          emctl upload
          I do not use OEM :( what does this repository do? Is it gathering performance statistics like "statspack"?
          • 2. Re: standby database floating IP
            yxes2013
            What is this > Configuring Oracle Enterprise Manager for Active and Passive Environments :(

Is this related to dataguard or RAC or standby?

Thanks a lot,
            • 3. Re: standby database floating IP
              asahide
              I do not use OEM :( what does this repository do?
              No, But you can drop repository.
              • 4. Re: standby database floating IP
                yxes2013
                I can not understand these commands huhuhu :( help
                What are these for?
                update sysman.mgmt_targets 
                    set display_name = 'dbserver2.abc.com:3938',
                        host_name = 'dbserver2.abc.com',
                        emd_url = 'https://dbserver2.abc.com:3938/emd/main'
                    where target_name = 'dbserver1.abc.com:3938' and target_type = 'oracle_emd';
                • 5. Re: standby database floating IP
                  asahide
                  Is this related to dataguard or RAC or standby?
                  No, For Cold Failover Cluster database.
                  Active and Passive environments, also known as Cold Failover Cluster (CFC) environments, refer to one type of high availability solution that allows an application to run on one node at a time.
                  <<http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B16240_01/doc/em.102/e10954/actpass_env.htm>>
                  • 6. Re: standby database floating IP
                    yxes2013
                    So this means the docs I read is for RAC setup? + standby database? :(
                    I am new to this company and I will need to setup RAC with standby?
                    • 7. Re: standby database floating IP
                      sb92075
                      yxes2013 wrote:
                      So this means the docs I read is for RAC setup? + standby database? :(
                      YES!
                      • 8. Re: standby database floating IP
                        Girish Sharma
                        yxes2013 wrote:
                        Hi all,

I am reading a standby setup documentation, and i see scripts like start and stop floating IP.
                        What is floating IP role for standby databases?

Thanks a lot,

zxy
                        Floating IP is the part of Load clustering option of 6 solutions to the problems of high availability feature. There are 6 solution for HA :

1.Local disk mirroring
                        2.Remote disk mirroring
                        3.Standby database
                        4.Load clustering
                        5.Replication and,
                        6.Loal clustering with OPS (Oracle parallel server)

In load clustering, hardware configuration is done in such a way that multiple computers can share a set of disks. Users and application can access disks and machine's sources and migrate between the machines in the cluster with the help of floating IP addresses.

Source:Page 19 of book "Architecture of Reliable Web Applications Software" By Moh'd A. Radaideh, Hayder Al-Ameed

Regards
                        Girish Sharma
                        • 9. Re: standby database floating IP
                          yxes2013
                          Huhuhu why I am given this task. All I know is shutdown the database and run cold backup using tar command and no OEM whatsoever.

You mean "HA" is another term for "RAC"? why is oracle creating lots of complicated software? When what the client need is simple one? :(
                          • 10. Re: standby database floating IP
                            sb92075
                            yxes2013 wrote:
                            Huhuhu why I am given this task. All I know is shutdown the database and run cold backup using tar command and no OEM whatsoever.

You mean "HA" is another term for "RAC"? why is oracle creating lots of complicated software? When what the client need is simple one? :(
                            HA is abbreviation for High Avaliablity
                            • 11. Re: standby database floating IP
                              Girish Sharma
                              No, RAC is another term for HA (High availability). These are just a marketing term.
                              why is oracle creating lots of complicated software?
                              Purpose is user should have availability of database 24x7. Big corporate databases where many higher, complicated configuration done as per need, policy and client's different business data nature, so Oracle provides these beautiful (not complicated, complication occurs when doing person don't reads docs only) features/option.

Regards
                              Girish Sharma
                              • 12. Re: standby database floating IP
                                yxes2013
                                Thanks Girish, you seem to be an HA expert ;)

So as dba, I do not need to worry the floating IP? as this is the responsibility or the network admin or systems admin or the Hardware Vendor that sells the HA servers?
                                • 13. Re: standby database floating IP
                                  Girish Sharma
                                  yxes2013 wrote:
                                  Thanks Girish, you seem to be an HA expert ;)
                                  Your welcome, but second part of above line is absolutely wrong. I am just a learner/fresher as many of here.
                                  So as dba, I do not need to worry the floating IP? as this is the responsibility or the network admin or systems admin or the Hardware Vendor that sells the HA servers?
                                  What is wrong if you worry/learn about floating IP term with your team members like network/system admin. Just ask them "please give me some introduction for floating IP and/or if you just google with floating IP, I am sure you will get couple of good link and will enjoy it reading and learning.

Regards
                                  Girish Sharma
                                  • 14. Re: standby database floating IP
                                    yxes2013
                                    Thanks dear :)

Can I test setup of floating IP in my laptop VMBox? Or how do I test setup this the easiest way?

Sample start floating IP:
                                    ping_return=`ping 192.168.1.130 | head -n 2 | tail -n 1 | awk '{print$1 $2}'`
                                    if [ "$ping_return" != "64bytes" ] ; then
                                        echo "# assumes that you are currently logged in as root"
                                        /root/ip_start.sh
                                    else
                                        echo "# Floating IP is existing!"
                                    fi
                                    Where can I get some sample scripts of related to floating IP?