This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2013 6:27 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10

992148 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi i am trying to install oracle 11gr1 to my ubuntu 12.10 and when i run ./runInstaller.sh
it said that OS Kernel Parameter: ip_local_port_range failed and the installer create a script to fix it but everytime i run the script on terminal, it gives me

'The upper limit of ip_local_port range in reponse file is not greater than value in /etc/sysctl.conf, hence not changing it.
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 9000 65535

Please help me.
  • 1. Re: oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10
    EdStevens Guru
    989145 wrote:
    Hi i am trying to install oracle 11gr1 to my ubuntu 12.10 and when i run ./runInstaller.sh
    it said that OS Kernel Parameter: ip_local_port_range failed and the installer create a script to fix it but everytime i run the script on terminal, it gives me

'The upper limit of ip_local_port range in reponse file is not greater than value in /etc/sysctl.conf, hence not changing it.
    net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 9000 65535

Please help me.
    Please show us the citation in the Installation Guide that lists Ubuntu as a supported OS.

see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b32002/pre_install.htm#CHDFFBIF
  • 2. Re: oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10
    asahide Expert
    Hi,

AFAIK, Oracle XE is only able to be installed on Ubuntu.
    <<Oracle 11gR2 Express Edition on Linux Ubuntu 11.10 howto

Regards,
  • 3. Re: oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10
    EdStevens Guru
    asahideO wrote:
    Hi,

AFAIK, Oracle XE is only able to be installed on Ubuntu.
    <<Oracle 11gR2 Express Edition on Linux Ubuntu 11.10 howto

Regards,
    Ubuntu is not listed as a supported OS, even for XE

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18802/toc.htm#autoId3
  • 4. Re: oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

As mention here Ubuntu is not certified platform, Even u wanna try than make search here.. you can find our previous posts about this topic
    if you make some googling you can find link&blog which is mention to create WM machine, install linux(you can use OEL linux which is free and can be download from e-delivery site) than you can make 11g installation on it

Regard
    Helios
  • 5. Re: oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10
    992148 Newbie
    Hi everyone,

FIrst of all thanks for the reply - greatly appreciated. I find the oracle software was quite 'hard to deal with'
    Starting from all the problem that I have when i want to try to connect oracle 64 bit with a SAS 32 bit and this oracle 11g R2 on ubuntu 12.10.
    I finally able to install the oracle 11g R2 'express edition' on my ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I follow the instructions in this blog to do that (highly recommend for all other people who would like to install oracle 11g R2 express edition on ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit)
    http://meandmyubuntulinux.blogspot.ca/2012/05/installing-oracle-11g-r2-express.html

To be honest, I am quite stock with how hard it is to install oracle on ubuntu and also how to install java jdk 1.6 (and it has to be 1.6 - it cannot be java 7 since oracle doesnt support that as well)
    For me, i think it is really strange since i thought oracle and java and sun microsystem (spark/solaris) are one big family and yet they dont support each other.
  • 6. Re: oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10
    EdStevens Guru
    989145 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

FIrst of all thanks for the reply - greatly appreciated. I find the oracle software was quite 'hard to deal with'
    Starting from all the problem that I have when i want to try to connect oracle 64 bit with a SAS 32 bit and this oracle 11g R2 on ubuntu 12.10.
    I finally able to install the oracle 11g R2 'express edition' on my ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I follow the instructions in this blog to do that (highly recommend for all other people who would like to install oracle 11g R2 express edition on ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit)
    http://meandmyubuntulinux.blogspot.ca/2012/05/installing-oracle-11g-r2-express.html

To be honest, I am quite stock with how hard it is to install oracle on ubuntu
    Why would you be shocked at that? Doesn't Oracle provide a list of supported OS's in the Installation Guide? Yes, it does. Is Ubuntu included in that list of supported OS's? No, it is not. And given that Ubuntu is a bit of an 'outlier' in the Linux world, what else would you expect?
    and also how to install java jdk 1.6 (and it has to be 1.6 - it cannot be java 7 since oracle doesnt support that as well)
    For me, i think it is really strange since i thought oracle and java and sun microsystem (spark/solaris) are one big family and yet they dont support each other.
    Then you have a lot to learn about software and the software industry.

Sometime around 1994 or 1995 I went to a class on the rDB database, developed by DEC. Oracle had just purchased the rdb from DEC. The instructor (who had been a DEC employee prior to the purchase) explained how Oracle had expected to fold rdb into the flagship Oracle database. Of course, that plan was hatched up by the 'suits'. Once the engineers were able to get together, it was figured out there was no way the products could be merged, and to this day Oracle maintains rdb as a separate and distinct product.

So, class, what lesson do we learn from this?

Edited by: EdStevens on Feb 23, 2013 8:26 AM
  • 7. Re: oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10
    629878 Newbie
    I was trying to install Oracle 11g onto Ubuntu 12.10 too. I almost gave up, then I got it installed successfully.

I saw many people here said it's not supported platform. Sure, it's not supported, but why not give it a shot, what would hurt?
    If people already did, why can't we learn and try to do it?

The point being that it's not like someone's life depends on it. It's just installing it for whatever reason.
    Some people say use a VM. Why would you have to run it in a VM for this? Why would you have two OS, eating up special resources from various other apps like IDEs, debugging session, browser, office suit, etc. Sure, you sometimes need them open to develop in a same time for convenient sake.

In fact, I installed it in a VM myself but I prefer Ubuntu, so what?

So my friend, congratulation that you got it installed.

Since Ubuntu has a large share of users of Linux OS base, it would help Oracle to support it fully, so people would use Oracle DB more.

For the nay sayers, and others, here is the link to show it's possible:

http://install-climber.blogspot.com/2012/10/InstallOracle11gR2DatabaseLinuxUbuntu1210Quantal64bit.html

There are a bunch other guides, with similar steps for doing this.

So, is it supported? no, can you install it? Yes. This proves that supported or not, this particular case, can be done, and you can do it. Enjoy!
  • 8. Re: oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Just because you can install a piece of software on an unsupported OS does not necessarily mean that the software will work as advertised. When you run into the first operational issue after installing the software, then what ?

Srini
  • 9. Re: oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10
    992148 Newbie
    Thank you for the info, and thanks for the blog as well.
    I also want to ask in oracle 11g XE does it include the user account scott/tiger?
    I tried to list all user account and i cant seems to find scott/tiger
    I also tried to login as scott/tiger and didnt work.
    do i have to unlock the user account first?
    and if i do, how come i cant find scott/tiger user account when i select username from dba_users;
  • 10. Re: oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10
    EdStevens Guru
    user626875 wrote:
    I was trying to install Oracle 11g onto Ubuntu 12.10 too. I almost gave up, then I got it installed successfully.

I saw many people here said it's not supported platform. Sure, it's not supported, but why not give it a shot, what would hurt?
    If people already did, why can't we learn and try to do it?

The point being that it's not like someone's life depends on it. It's just installing it for whatever reason.
    Some people say use a VM. Why would you have to run it in a VM for this? Why would you have two OS, eating up special resources from various other apps like IDEs, debugging session, browser, office suit, etc. Sure, you sometimes need them open to develop in a same time for convenient sake.

In fact, I installed it in a VM myself but I prefer Ubuntu, so what?

So my friend, congratulation that you got it installed.

Since Ubuntu has a large share of users of Linux OS base, it would help Oracle to support it fully, so people would use Oracle DB more.
    Ubuntu is targeted at and optimized for the end-user-desktop. That in itself is not an optimal platform for running a database, so I wouldn't have any expectation at all that Oracle will ever certify their products to run on it. I'd guess the only reason they certify on desktop versions of Windows is because the demand is several orders of magnitude larger than for Ubuntu.
    For the nay sayers, and others, here is the link to show it's possible:

http://install-climber.blogspot.com/2012/10/InstallOracle11gR2DatabaseLinuxUbuntu1210Quantal64bit.html

There are a bunch other guides, with similar steps for doing this.

So, is it supported? no, can you install it? Yes. This proves that supported or not, this particular case, can be done, and you can do it. Enjoy!
    Enjoy until such time as something doesn't work and you are again faced with the fact you are pretty much on your own to fix it.
  • 11. Re: oracle installation in ubuntu 12.10
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    989145 wrote:
    Thank you for the info, and thanks for the blog as well.
    I also want to ask in oracle 11g XE does it include the user account scott/tiger?
    I tried to list all user account and i cant seems to find scott/tiger
    I also tried to login as scott/tiger and didnt work.
    do i have to unlock the user account first?
    and if i do, how come i cant find scott/tiger user account when i select username from dba_users;
    Pl ask in the {forum:id=251} forum

HTH
    Srini

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points