This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2013 9:08 AM by jgarry RSS

Parallel instances?

newbieDBA Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello guy, i have created an another instance on a single machine
i got error when starting up a new one - error starting up database in exclusive mode
, so i shutdown older database instance , to start new one
......now is it possible to run both instance parallel? without shutting anyone

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Parallel instances?
    EdStevens Guru
    newbieDBA wrote:
    i got error when starting up a new one - error starting up database in exclusive mode

Thanks
    I have a test server with 10 separate instances running at the same time.

Unfortunately, it would be difficult for you to have given us less information than you did. You've been on this forum long enough and have posted often enough to know that you should at least tell us
    1) What OS you are on
    2) What version (to 4 decimals) of Oracle you are on
    3) actual commands used and results returned. Copy and paste are a beautiful thing, but only if you use them.

All you've given us is "I have a car. I can't start it. What is wrong?"

One more time, PLEASE read the forum FAQ.
  • 2. Re: Parallel instances?
    newbieDBA Newbie
    Extremely sorry Sir !!

Version : 10.2.0
    Exact Error : ORA 01102 : cannot mount database in exclusive mode
    sharing same oracle_home, different sid
    i can only open database alternative , cant parallel

.. i jst created instance using oradim , and then used same pfile to open , then created spfile and pfile visa versa
    I created a net service for new Database , when tested :: it says ""ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor""(a legendary error)
  • 3. Re: Parallel instances?
    EdStevens Guru
    newbieDBA wrote:
    Extremely sorry Sir !!

No longer supported but unfortunately often required because app vendors won't certify their apps. I've got one like that.
    What edition of Win7? Oracle is not certified on any HOME edition. And 10.2 is not certified at all on any edition of Win 7. Did you read prereqs in the [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14316/reqs.htm#CHDHGGFE]Installation Guide?

.. i jst created instance using oradim , and then used same pfile to open , then created spfile and pfile visa versa
    That's probably your problem. init.ora and spfiles contain values that are specific to a given database instance. When you create a new db/instance, you can use the init.ora file from another database as a template, but you must modify it accordingly before using it.
    But it's still hard to say because all you've really shown is an error message in a vacuum.

And what is the current value of ORACLE_SID when you start sqlplus?
    c:\ cd %ORACLE_HOME%\database
    c:\ dir init*
    c:\ dir spf*
    c:\ set ORACLE_SID=nameofdatabase
    c:\ sqlplus / as sysdba
    sql> shutdown immediate
    sql> startup
    I created a net service for new Database , when tested :: it says ""ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor""(a legendary error)
    And a "legendary" explanation/solution - see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/ora-12514/]ora-12514
  • 4. Re: Parallel instances?
    newbieDBA Newbie
    No longer supported but unfortunately often required because app vendors won't certify their apps. I've got one like that.
    does it supports 11 r2?

>

That's probably your problem. init.ora and spfiles contain values that are specific to a given database instance. When you create a new db/instance, you can use the init.ora file from another database as a template, but you must modify it accordingly before using it
    Thanks for the advice sir! but what it will make difference and where? ( my database is already running ) & what could be the disadvantages of them ? or mayb thats why only im facing this problem of running parallel instances?

sql> shutdown immediate
    sql> startup
    i change accordingly as per need to open database , i have 2 instances ( means 2 database right? ) ORDB and ORACLE
    i change SID and open database after shutting down another one !!
    I was trying to access both database without shutting any one , ....like just change SID and access that database
    And a "legendary" explanation/solution - see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/ora-12514/]ora-12514
    YES your blog sir!! i wish one day i would be solving this listeners and sevices issues like a boss!

Thank you
  • 5. Re: Parallel instances?
    EdStevens Guru
    Duplicate thread makes life even more confusing

Parallel instances?
  • 6. Re: Parallel instances?
    newbieDBA Newbie
    EdStevens wrote:
    Duplicate thread makes life even more confusing

Parallel instances?
    I apologize for that , but when i clicked " post new thread" it hanged i clicked twice and it was double thread ..
    i tried to find delete thread , i couldnt , i had to leave the place ...when i came back both got replies , and i was trying to be nice to replying back to them
  • 7. Re: Parallel instances?
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    The error means that if you are running database instances without installing clusterware software and has not enabled RAC, oracle won't let a db open more than one instance. If you are going to mount one instance, the another instance won't be able to get mounted and if you want to do that, you would need RAC to be installed and the db has to be a RAC db. In the absence of the RAC, you would be able to only go ahead with different instances for different databases.

HTH
    Aman....
  • 8. Re: Parallel instances?
    newbieDBA Newbie
    Ohh ,
    but my senior dba set up successfully application server and run reports !! that consist of 2 instances -- 1 for Oracle app infrastructure and 2 for oracle database (in which there are forms that will be called ) - am i missing something?

or which instance needs to be up among 2 ?app infrastructure database Or oracle Database?

Edited by: newbieDBA on Feb 20, 2013 11:19 AM
  • 9. Re: Parallel instances?
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    newbieDBA wrote:
    Ohh ,
    but my senior dba set up successfully application server and run reports !! that consist of 2 instances -- 1 for Oracle app infrastructure and 2 for oracle database (in which there are forms that will be called ) - am i missing something?
    I don't know what is Oracle App Infrastructure but I am assuming that this must be coming with it's own database and another database is going to be the one that you have mentioned and both are running with their instances individually.
    or which instance needs to be up among 2 ?app infrastructure database Or oracle Database?
    I am not sure that I am the right person to answer this since I have no idea about the first thing that you have mentioned. It appears , both should be running.

Aman....
  • 10. Re: Parallel instances?
    EdStevens Guru
    Aman.... wrote:
    newbieDBA wrote:
    Ohh ,
    I don't know what is Oracle App Infrastructure but I am assuming that this must be coming with it's own database and another database is going to be the one that you have mentioned and both are running with their instances individually.
    I am not sure that I am the right person to answer this since I have no idea about the first thing that you have mentioned. It appears , both should be running.

Aman....
    I'm thinking that since AS is a whole different product, OP might be better served asking that part of the question on their forum ... Oracle Application Server - General
  • 11. Re: Parallel instances?
    newbieDBA Newbie
    Aman.... wrote:
    The error means that if you are running database instances without installing clusterware software and has not enabled RAC, oracle won't let a db open more than one instance. If you are going to mount one instance, the another instance won't be able to get mounted and if you want to do that, you would need RAC to be installed and the db has to be a RAC db. In the absence of the RAC, you would be able to only go ahead with different instances for different databases.
    let me try to be more specific

old instance name : ordb (have its database)
    1.used oradim to create new instance
    2.i didnt created database
    3.i used old instance's pfile to start database , it started ,
    4.i created Spfile from pfile and then Pfile from SPfile
    5.i tried open database with new instance but "cannot open database in xclusive mode"
    6.changed SID to old one ,shutdown database
    7.changed SID to New one opened database , and it was opened

Now i am realizing that unknowingly i was trying to set up RAC ( lol )
    am i right sir?
  • 12. Re: Parallel instances?
    newbieDBA Newbie
    EdStevens wrote:
    newbieDBA wrote:

Thanks
    I have a test server with 10 separate instances running at the same time.
    10 separate instances sharing one database?? single machine?
  • 13. Re: Parallel instances?
    EdStevens Guru
    newbieDBA wrote:
    does it supports 11 r2?
    Does "what" supports 11 r2. What are you asking about?

>>

That's probably your problem. init.ora and spfiles contain values that are specific to a given database instance. When you create a new db/instance, you can use the init.ora file from another database as a template, but you must modify it accordingly before using it
    Thanks for the advice sir! but what it will make difference and where? ( my database is already running ) & what could be the disadvantages of them ? or mayb thats why only im facing this problem of running parallel instances?
    Your database is running only one at a time. Probably because both think they are the same, because you didn't modify the init/spfile correctly. So when you try to start the second, his init. ora or spfiile tells him he's the same as the one that is already running. Show us the contents of both init.ora files

>
    >
    sql> shutdown immediate
    sql> startup
    i change accordingly as per need to open database , i have 2 instances ( means 2 database right? ) ORDB and ORACLE
    i change SID and open database after shutting down another one !!
    I was trying to access both database without shutting any one , ....like just change SID and access that database
    Well, I gave you that series of commands expecting you to execute them, the copy and paste the entire session so we could see for ourselves instead of depending on your interpretations.
    YES your blog sir!! i wish one day i would be solving this listeners and sevices issues like a boss!

Thank you
  • 14. Re: Parallel instances?
    EdStevens Guru
    Aman.... wrote:

HTH
    Aman....
    Aman,

I really don't think RAC or lack of clusterware is his problem. It looks to me like he has/wants two distinct databases. I strongly suspect that the issue is that his two init/spfiles are identical except in name only, so they are both trying to start with the same DB_NAME value.
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points