This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2013 7:26 PM by user12878026 RSS

where to find the fishworks appliance for SUN Storage 7110

992296 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

we've got an old Storage 7110 we would like to re-use, but some disks have been interverted and that may be causing the problem: there's just no system booting up, hence no Storage interface available. All we got in the iLO working.

Is the appliance system supposed to be installed in one of the disks in the front bays ? How to recover or to install the appliance, which seems to be "fishworks" ? I coudln't find any full release of Fishworks anywhere, only some patches are [made available|https://wikis.oracle.com/display/FishWorks/Fishworks].

Thanks
-pph
  • 1. Re: where to find the fishworks appliance for SUN Storage 7110
    Bjoern Rost Oracle ACE Director
    I don't think you can download the base image. If you get to the grub screen through iLOM you can try a factory reset: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28317_01/html/E38247/maintenance__system.html#maintenance__system__factory_reset

Bjoern
  • 2. Re: where to find the fishworks appliance for SUN Storage 7110
    992296 Newbie
    yep, thanks, there isn't even the GRUB menu left. It tries to boot a weired Windows 2003 which ends up with a blue screen (I can only guess it's a spare disk that wasn't cleared before it was plugged in one of the slots). I can see the text of the "blue screen" even in serial mode, it's kind of fun, anyway. It seems I can install any x86 system on it (I would put something else than windows though...) as the 7110 seems to be based on a SunFire X4240 server. But is the original operating system supposed to be installed on one of the disks or somewhere else, maybe inside on a flash disk ?

By the way, what firmware should I use to upgrade the machine ? I found the the latest update for X4240 servers (SW 3.2.1) but none for Storage 7110. Is it ok if I use the X4240 firmware to update ? It proposes to update both, ILOM and BIOS (v68) but the bios doesn't seem to get updated (still getting xxxsomethingxxx64).

Thanks
  • 3. Re: where to find the fishworks appliance for SUN Storage 7110
    Bjoern Rost Oracle ACE Director
    989293 wrote:
    yep, thanks, there isn't even the GRUB menu left. It tries to boot a weired Windows 2003 which ends up with a blue screen
    ok, that is definitely wrong.
    But is the original operating system supposed to be installed on one of the disks or somewhere else, maybe inside on a flash disk ?
    The 7110 uses two of the 16 disks that are front-accessible for the OS. The 7120 has two extra disks on the back.
    By the way, what firmware should I use to upgrade the machine ? I found the the latest update for X4240 servers (SW 3.2.1) but none for Storage 7110. Is it ok if I use the X4240 firmware to update ? It proposes to update both, ILOM and BIOS (v68) but the bios doesn't seem to get updated (still getting xxxsomethingxxx64).
    I am not 100% sure but I think you should not upgrade the iLOM and BIOS on your own and they are included in the software updates that are installed via the GUI. So I think without contacting support it might be impossible to revive this system

Bjoern
  • 4. Re: where to find the fishworks appliance for SUN Storage 7110
    user12878026 Newbie
    elge wrote:
    The iLom/BIOS in the 7000 series are not user upgradable. Please do not use the X4240 f/w.

As to get your 7110 back into working condition. You will need to open a support ticket to get it re-install.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points