This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2013 2:05 PM by FERC RSS

How does the licensing in OVM?

FERC Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi guys,

I have blades servers no ORACLE and I like to install OVM x86 on these. My configuration is:
- 3 x Blades servers with two processor sockets each one.

How many licenses I need to buy for these?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
FERCA
  • 1. Re: How does the licensing in OVM?
    Bjoern Rost Oracle ACE Director
    I am not a big fan of answering licensing and support issues in a forum. Anyway. Quoting from the Oracle Store:
    Pricing metric is per system. The system can have a maximum of two physical processors (sockets), unlimited number of cores and/or virtual guests.
    There is no license cost associated with Oracle VM. Pricing reflects $0 for license, and all charges are related to services.
    So you don't have to purchase any licenses but you have the option of purchasing support. The licensing metric is per system (so the number of cpus, cores or virtual machines does not matter). The one I quoted above is for the "limited" suport version that has a maximum of two sockets per system, there is also another option for an unlimited number of sockets per system. And if I recall correctly, you do not need to purchase support for the OVM manager machine.

So in your case, you could purchase 3 times the "OVM Premier Limited Support" option https://shop.oracle.com/pls/ostore/f?p=dstore:product:0::NO:RP,6:P6_LPI:4510279062361805728469

Bjoern
  • 2. Re: How does the licensing in OVM?
    FERC Newbie
    Bjoern,

Thank you very much for your answer, it's clear.

Regards,
    FERCA
  • 3. Re: How does the licensing in OVM?
    960874 Newbie
    FERC wrote:
    How many licenses I need to buy for these?
    Wim Coekaerts blog entry "The case for Oracle VM" doesn't address your question directly but it's definitely worth reading.

Eric Pretorious
    Truckee, CA

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points