This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 9:07 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

Confusion Over Standby Database name

user11982706 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
DB : 11.2.0.1

I have create a physical standby DB with same name as PROD database (running on Server A). To be more clear following are the details from PROD init file.

initCORE.ora

DB_NAME=CORE
DB_UNIQUE_NAME=CORE

On standby database side (running on Server B) , i have copied same initCORE.ora file and change the parameter required for standby and db_name parameters at standby side are as below

DB_NAME=CORE
DB_UNIQUE_NAME=CORE_DUP

On Sever A has Primary database with name CORE and Server B has standby database again with name CORE.

I have seen several threads in which people use different name for standby say CORESTD.

Which approach is better ? PROD & Standby with same name OR with different names ? any pros & cons for these two approaches.
  • 1. Re: Confusion Over Standby Database name
    Step_Into_Oracle_DBA Explorer
    I have seen several threads in which people use different name for standby say CORESTD.
    Primary and standby database names can be same or different. But the database unique name should be different.

We have most of the DG environments with the same name.
    Which approach is better ? PROD & Standby with same name OR with different names ? any pros & cons for these two approaches.
    May be you might get confused if there is a same name given to Primary and Standby. If different name is provided, then we can easily identify which is primary and which is standby.

I dont think other than this name is going to a big deal.

Please keep forum clean by Marking your Post as Answered or Helpful if Your question is answered.

Thanks & Regards,

StepIntoOracleDBA (SID)
  • 2. Re: Confusion Over Standby Database name
    CKPT Guru
    user11982706 wrote:
    DB : 11.2.0.1

I have create a physical standby DB with same name as PROD database (running on Server A). To be more clear following are the details from PROD init file.

initCORE.ora

DB_NAME=CORE
    DB_UNIQUE_NAME=CORE

On standby database side (running on Server B) , i have copied same initCORE.ora file and change the parameter required for standby and db_name parameters at standby side are as below

DB_NAME=CORE
    DB_UNIQUE_NAME=CORE_DUP

On Sever A has Primary database with name CORE and Server B has standby database again with name CORE.

You must have same DB_NAME for primary and all physical standby database(s) and DB_UNIQUE_NAME should be different in primary and standby database(s)
    In logical standby database of course you can use different.
  • 3. Re: Confusion Over Standby Database name
    Step_Into_Oracle_DBA Explorer
    CHECK this
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28320/initparams059.htm#REFRN10041
    Please keep forum clean by Marking your Post as Answered or Helpful if Your question is answered.

Thanks & Regards,

StepIntoOracleDBA (SID)
  • 4. Re: Confusion Over Standby Database name
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    For a Physical Standby, the DB_NAME has to be the same. The DB_UNIQUE_NAME should be different. By convention, the SID is different although it can be the same.

For a Logical Standby that is not on the same server, the DB_NAME and SID may be the same or different -- it doesn't matter.

Hemant K Chitale

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points