This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 4:31 PM by 9423755 RSS

Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work

9423755 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi
So that I could play around with SH schema (learn analytics etc.) I uninstalled XE, and installed EE.
Now SQLPlus won't work. :-(

Link to error dialog:

http://s12.postimage.org/uuf8vmiz1/sqlpluserror.png

Any ideas? I have already rebooted my PC.

Thanks,
Jason
  • 1. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    sb92075 Guru
    How do I ask a question on the forums?
    SQL and PL/SQL FAQ

see a picture of my car that does not go
    tell me how to make my car go.

what results when you use sqlplus from the command line?
  • 2. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    9423755 Explorer
    Hi
    I'm sorry, you seem to suggest I'm not giving enough information? I'm not sure what other information I can give. The error is in the dialog box (image capture attached).

Whether I click either
    a) the sqlplus icon installed on my taskbar, or
    b) the sqlplus exe file located in instantclient-sqlplus-nt-11.2.0.3.0\instantclient_11_2

I get the dialog box as shown in the link to the attached image.

In case you can't see the image, the following text is in the dialog box:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

You ask "what results when you use sqlplus from the command line"

I can't get to the command line. Am I missing something? I never previously ran sqlplus by firing up a DOS emulator (i.e. using cmd.exe). I thought the way to run sqlplus was by running the instant client exe.

Edit: I just tried to run sqlplus inside cmd.exe and got the same error (i.e., the same dialog box pops up).

Thanks,
    Jason

Edited by: 942375 on 21-Feb-2013 08:43

Edited by: 942375 on 21-Feb-2013 08:51
  • 3. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    9423755 Explorer
    Okay, I have just found that there is a sqlplus bundled with the EE:

C:\oracleee\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\BIN\sqlplus.exe

This works, and I've been able to create a shortcut to it with the same properties as the original shortcut to the instant client.

Looks like I have no more need for the instant client sqlplus that I was using with the XE edition.
  • 4. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    sb92075 Guru
    consider marking your threads as CLOSED when appropriate.
  • 5. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    jgarry Guru
    Isn't $ORACLE_HOME/bin on your PATH? You may need to modify your path system environment variable.
  • 6. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    9423755 Explorer
    Wow, you're really brusque. That's twice now. I really appreciate the help that you guys give, but I'm not sure that that gives you the right to not be polite and/or talk to me as if I'm a child in your classroom. I'm 39 years old, not 12.

The thread isn't closed because the question wasn't answered. I've found a workaround, but the original question - "why is sqlplus (as in instant client sqlplus) no longer working after having uninstalled XE and installed EE" - hasn't been answered.

I'm sorry if I upset you somehow.

Cheers,
    Jason
  • 7. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    9423755 Explorer
    >
    Isn't $ORACLE_HOME/bin on your PATH? You may need to modify your path system environment variable.
    >

Thanks for the suggestion, but yes it is.
    C:\Users\J>echo %path%
    C:\oracleee\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common
    Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windo
    ws\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Qui
    ckTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files
    \Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinMerge

C:\Users\J>
  • 8. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    sb92075 Guru
    942375 wrote:
    Wow, you're really brusque. That's twice now. I really appreciate the help that you guys give, but I'm not sure that that gives you the right to not be polite and/or talk to me as if I'm a child in your classroom. I'm 39 years old, not 12.

The thread isn't closed because the question wasn't answered. I've found a workaround, but the original question - "why is sqlplus (as in instant client sqlplus) no longer working after having uninstalled XE and installed EE" - hasn't been answered.
    instant client stopped working because things on your system got changed.
    The reality is that over time the system had 3 different "ORACLE_HOME" folders;
    1) XE
    2) Instant Client
    3) EE

deinstall & new install changes things like environmental variables & Registry contents.
    problems easily occur when more than one ORACLE_HOME exists on any Windows system.

BTW - there never was any need for Instant Client on any system where XE is installed.
    XE comes with its own copy of sqlplus.
  • 9. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    jgarry Guru
    Is there Oracle from your start menu? Is there more than one? Is there a sqlplus there? Does it work?

You may need to be sure your registry is clean of extraneous oracle home entries. Somewhere in the Oracle Windows docs it describes things like the precedence of registry and environment variables. Some people just give up and make batch files that set everything correctly. You can probably google these things.
  • 10. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    9423755 Explorer
    Hi

I was surprised when I found sqlplus in the EE start menu folder. I don't remember seeing it in the XE folder, but if what you're saying is true, it was there all the time.

ORACLE_HOME isn't set as an environment variable; it is however in the registry, but it points to EE.

Thanks,
    Jason
  • 11. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    9423755 Explorer
    As said above, I had a look in the registry and ORACLE_HOME points to EE. Not to worry.

Thanks,
    Jason
  • 12. Re: Uninstalled XE, installed EE, now SQLPlus won't work
    9423755 Explorer
    Closed; never figured it out but I have EE sqlplus now so time to move on.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points