This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 10:21 PM by 980427 RSS

Start multiple domains simultaneously on 1 Weblogic server installation?

980427 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Is it okay to start and run multiple domains simultaneously. Better yet, when having multiple domains on 1 WLS server, should each domain have a different port number in order to be run simultaneously?

Here's my scenario - I installed Oracle Business Intellgence, which by default installs and configures WLS server for certain Business Intelligence applications (BI Publisher). This instance was running fine and good and still is.

Then I had another application, Oracle Data Integrator, which has a Console piece that requires a domain on WLS. So instead of modifying the existing domain for Oracle Business Intelligence, I created a new domain via the Configuration Wizard and selected those components for Oracle Data Integrator.

therefore current domains:

...\domains\bifoundation_domain --> installed automatically as part of Oracle Business Intelligence
...\domains\odi11g --> I created this domain after I

Now I have 2 domains under 1 WLS Server (windows 7 64bit), but if I startWeblogic.cmd for the bifoundation_domain, and I startWeblogic.cmd for the odi11g...then only the components for the bifoundation_domain become available via the WLS Console.

Questions:
- Can I run both domains simultaneously?
- Should I have modified the bifoundation_domain to include Oracle Data Integrator component; therefore only having 1 domain but having everything run under that domain?
- Does the Port for each domain matter? both bifounddation_domain and odi11g domain use ports 7001

Are there any other considerations? Thanks much.
  • 1. Re: Start multiple domains simultaneously on 1 Weblogic server installation?
    GavinWoods Explorer
    Hi,

For the WebLogic side of things:
    - yes you can run two domains on one machine. You can run as many domains as the computer/server can handle.

- The ports do matter on what you use. Basically the relaitonship is you can only have 1 WebLogic Server running on 1 port. Otherwise, you'll have weblogic servers preventing others from starting up. Thus you'll need to make sure all your weblogic servers are configured on seperate ports. 7001 is the default WebLogic AdminServer port. You can change the ports that are used from either the Administrator consoles or "%Domain_Home%/config/config.xml".

Thank you,

Gavin
    PITSS | http://pitss.com/us
  • 2. Re: Start multiple domains simultaneously on 1 Weblogic server installation?
    980427 Newbie
    Awesome, Got it. Thanks for the clarification. My hunch was that the port was the differentiating factor, but I'm not completely familiar with software installation/OS contingencies (more on the development side/implementation side of apps that use WLS).

Again thanks,

Aakash

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points