This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2013 12:45 PM by 993032 RSS

Not able to open SQL developer

978497 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I am using windows XP 32-bit and I have downloaded the SQL developer from the location http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html which included JDK1.6.0_35 but when I click on sqldeveloper.exe it says

"this application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

When I click on OK it says "Unable to launch the Java Virtual Machine located at path ../../jdk/jre/bin/client/jvm.dll "

Please help me out urgently.

Thanks
Mahesh
  • 1. Re: Not able to open SQL developer
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Mahesh,

Try the workaround given in a recent thread on this forum for the same issue:

Workaround MSVCR71.dll is missing by placing a copy in <SQLDEV_HOME>\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin. If you downloaded the 32-bit version of SQL Developer with the JDK included, you can find that dll in <SQLDEV_HOME>\sqldeveloper\jdk\jre\bin.

So why does this happen? See the links in the following post for details:
    Re: sql developer fails to launch

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: Not able to open SQL developer
    978497 Newbie
    Hi Gary,
    What about the error "Unable to launch the Java Virtual Machine located at path ../../jdk/jre/bin/client/jvm.dll ".How this issue will be fixed?

will appreciate your help.....'

Thanks
    Mahesh
  • 3. Re: Not able to open SQL developer
    Gary Graham Expert
    Mahesh,

Doesn't fixing the MSVCR71 issue allow you start SQL Developer successfully and never see the jvm error message? In my past experience, I thought those message traveled in pairs! But if for some reason you are still having problems, you can bypass running the tool from an .exe and instead run directly from Java by using the sqldeveloper.bat file (see the post above my final post in the following thread):
    Sqldeveloper - Windows 7 64 Bit - unable to launch

Best Wishes,
    Gary

Edited by: Gary Graham on Feb 22, 2013 2:43 PM
    In the referenced thread, note the disconnect between those two final posts: the other poster said using sqldeveloper.bat worked for him, not resetting the ORACLE_HOME. My reply, however, related to ignoring any other ORACLE_HOMEs on the machine. Not sure exactly why the sqldeveloper.bat file worked for the poster. Java actually does rely on MSVCR71.dll (Java 6) or MSVCR100.dll (Java 7).

Edited by: Gary Graham on Feb 22, 2013 5:09 PM
    Another alternate fix for Windows seems to be appending $JAVA_HOME/bin to the $PATH variable:
    The specified item was not found.
  • 4. Re: Not able to open SQL developer
    993032 Newbie
    download MSVCR71.dll and copy it to the system32 directory of your program files.
    You may need to restart your computer and try running sqldeveloper.exe again

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points