1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2013 3:40 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle

Oracle 10g to 11g upgrade advice

JackBox
      I am trying to come up with a plan for an upgrade that is needed for a server I maintain. It is a Windows 2003 32bit running Oracle 10.2.0.3 on old Hardware. It also has two obscure 3rd party applications that are running on it that directly access the database. These applications are supported by off site consultants.

My initial plan was to Create a Windows 2008 R2 Virtual Server and install the same version of Oracle 10.2.0.3. Using Rman clone the database to the new server. Have the consultants come in and get the applications working. Once everything in the new environment seems to be working fine, run RMAN again and reclone the database to have all the latest data. Then at a later time upgrade the database to 11g 32bit. Virtually no downtime and we could spend all the time we needed getting the applications working and testing the new environment.

The plan is dead right of the bat though because I realize 10.2.0.3 is not supported by Windows 2008 R2. I really did not want to add an Oracle DB upgrade into the mix at the same time. Just because their are so many changes from the old environment to the new that I want to break this down into manageable chunks. And I can maybe get by with 1 day of down time.

So now I am looking at installing 11g on my Virtual Server, Clone the database, upgrade the database, have the consultants come in and get the applications working. All the while we are down. If we run into any problems, which you always do, it just completely blows the schedule.

Any advice on what would be the best way to pull this off?
        • 1. Re: Oracle 10g to 11g upgrade advice
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          One possible option you have is to upgrade to 11gR2 on the existing Win 2003 server, since 11gR2 is certified on Win 2003, then migrate the whole environment to Win 2008 as needed

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186/reqs.htm#CHDHGGFE

You can clone the Oracle 11g binaries from Win 2003 to Win 2008 (using OUI) when you are ready to move to the new server.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/em.112/e12255/oui6_cloning.htm

HTH
          Srini