1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 2:09 PM by EdStevens RSS

ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS

HI
      im oh so very new to this forum and to the oracle environment too.
      Ive just installed the oracle db 11g r2 enterprise edition to my Dell Xps l702x .

So there were some erros whils installing the software anyway ive continued it and all the products in the status bar during the instalation process were shown as installed properly.

So i created a database during the instalattion but ive deleted it cuz i could not log in to it because the ORA-TNS-12560 Adapter protocol error :/

Then when i wanted to create a new db conncetion with the provided oracle db configuration assistant i encoutered a troble with the listener that was not seted up. so i redirected to NETCA trying to creat a listener anyway i could not do that too becauseit said that the default port 1521 was busy by another listener that was not event existing .

So i can logon to any connection i cant do anythnig.
      why is this oracle thing so inconvinient ??

u have to set environment variables, change the ora file, do a lot of different things if i jsut wanto use a local db for practicing... why doesthis all configure during the instalattion in gives shit to me really...
      any hel wouldbe regretful

thanks
        • 1. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
          asahide
          Hello,

Welcome to the forum,
          You can use Oracle XE edition.
          <<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/express-edition/overview/index.html>>

Regards,
          • 2. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
            Well thanks a lot ! I will run this installation on my linux 64 bit opensuse distrubution. . So thanks for that. So there is no actual 64 bit WIN oracle xe version right ?
            So lets say iwill use the 64 b XE on linux .
            but id still like to know how to configure the enterprise edition on my 64 bit win OS. Anyone to help ?
            Thanks in advance
            • 3. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
              EdStevens
              989739 wrote:
              HI
              im oh so very new to this forum and to the oracle environment too.
              Ive just installed the oracle db 11g r2 enterprise edition to my Dell Xps l702x .
              WHat OS? Please check the Installation Guide that your specific OS is supported (hint: Win 8 is not supported. No "home" edition of any version of Windows is supported).

So there were some erros whils installing the software anyway ive continued it and all the products in the status bar during the instalation process were shown as installed properly.
              So in spite of errors being reported during installation, you forged ahead and expected things to work?
              So i created a database during the instalattion but ive deleted it cuz i could not log in to it because the ORA-TNS-12560 Adapter protocol error :/
              That's like tearing down your house and trying to rebuild it just because your door key didn't work. Lesson for the future: work the error message. That error is usually due to a simple syntax error on the connect string.
              Then when i wanted to create a new db conncetion with the provided oracle db configuration assistant i encoutered a troble with the listener that was not seted up. so i redirected to NETCA trying to creat a listener anyway i could not do that too becauseit said that the default port 1521 was busy by another listener that was not event existing .

So i can logon to any connection i cant do anythnig.
              why is this oracle thing so inconvinient ??

u have to set environment variables, change the ora file, do a lot of different things if i jsut wanto use a local db for practicing... why doesthis all configure during the instalattion in gives shit to me really...
              Thousands of people have successfully installed Oracle and configured a database on the first try, so I can only guess that
              1) you ignored the Installation Guide and attempted to install on a non-supported OS
              2) you ignored error messages during installation
              3) you failed to resolve a the tns-12560, which most likely resulted from a simple syntax problem when you tried to connect to the database

any hel wouldbe regretful
              At this point we really don't know what you've done and what condition your unknown system is in, or where you want to go from here.
              >
              thanks
              Edited by: EdStevens on Feb 22, 2013 8:38 AM
              • 4. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
                Hi mate thanks for ur reply...
                So im running this windows 7 home premium edition so there is the home word witin / why is this the problem ?

second. I might have messed up with the configuration because i was really annoyedwith the software provided. I need to practice to my uni and this installation and configuration takes way to long.

So im just goi nt to install the XE on fedora 18 now. and check out how it works over there.
                but i would still like the eneerprise version to work on my windows 7 so due to that do i need to install the ultimate version of win 7 wihout the home word in it. Ohh but maybe i just go back to the XP instead of 7 do you thnink its a good choice for the Oracle environment?
                • 5. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
                  sb92075
                  989739 wrote:
                  Hi mate thanks for ur reply...
                  So im running this windows 7 home premium edition so there is the home word witin / why is this the problem ?
                  Oracle does not work on Home Edition.

You could install VirtualBox & then load a VM which contains Oracle RDBMS already
                  • 6. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
                    so do reccommend switiching to win 7 ultimate or going back to win xp proffesional ? for the 64bit oracle win version. ?

i will have it on linuxin a few minutes but still want to have it in windows
                    • 7. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
                      sb92075
                      989739 wrote:
                      so do reccommend switiching to win 7 ultimate or going back to win xp proffesional ? for the 64bit oracle win version. ?

i will have it on linuxin a few minutes but still want to have it in windows
                      V11 Oracle is NOT certified on XP
                      • 8. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
                        Hey do you know whyisnt the oracle working with the win home versions?
                        and do yoiu reckon working on win os wi oracle is better thank working with it on a unix based platform?
                        • 9. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
                          sb92075
                          989739 wrote:
                          and do yoiu reckon working on win os wi oracle is better thank working with it on a unix based platform?
                          It is easier to support multiple DB on *NIX than it is on Windows                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                          • 10. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
                            thanks for that too mate :)
                            andlast query:Dwhat doyoubelieveisthe best *NIXosplatform?                                                                                                                                                                               
                            • 11. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
                              EdStevens
                              989739 wrote:
                              Because the creator of the product says they don't test/certify it to work on that platform.
                              I've been working with Oracle since v. 7.3 and my first oracle db was on windows 3.11 and at that point in my career I'd never had my hands on a nix system.  By all rights, I should be biased toward* windows. (Actually, by all rights I should be biased toward IBM sys-360). But having worked with IBM sys-360 and its descendents, DEC VMS, DOS 2.0, every version of windows except "Bob", IBM OS/2, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, and Oracle Linux, I feel very qualified in saying Windows is absolutely my last choice of a host for Oracle database. In fact, Windows is my last choice of an OS, period. The only people who love windows are those who have never seriously worked with anything else.
                              • 12. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
                                EdStevens
                                989739 wrote:
                                *nix has better memory management
                                *nix has better process management
                                *nix has better environment management.
                                Linux is the primary development platform that oracle is actually written on.
                                • 13. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
                                  thanks for this unique answer.
                                  sorry mate is there any chance that we could exchange some emails? could you send me yours ?
                                  or leave me a message at shpongledaleksy@gmail.com
                                  • 14. Re: ALL -THE-TIME PROBLEMS
                                    EdStevens
                                    989739 wrote:
                                    thanks for that too mate :)
                                    andlast query:Dwhat doyoubelieveisthe best *NIXosplatform?
                                    That's one of the beauties of *nix.  If it's a certified distro, one is as technically sound as the next.  They all have a few idiosyncrasies, but nothing even a modestly accomplished SA or DBA can't learn to deal with -- toMAYto, toMAHto.
                                    But when you get to that point, it would be hard to make a case for an expensive, proprietary *nix, bound to one vendor's expensive hardware, vs a Linux that runs on commodity hardware.
                                    And when you get to that point, why not Oracle Linux. One less vendor in the mix.
                                    1 2 Previous Next