8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2013 10:05 AM by odie_63 RSS

Looking for an XML-enabled database system

NicePseronMahou
      Dear all,

I am looking for a RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) that provides management of XML data in a relational fashion.
      I found the IBM DB 2 XML Extender. However, I am not sure if this system is already in use (because the latest release was in 2003).
      I would be very grateful to you if you could help me to find what I am looking for.

PS. For RDBMS handling XML data, we find two categories: XML-enabled systems (they store XML data using a special data type like BLOB, CLOB,...), or the native XML systems (which stor XML data in its hierarchical structure, so the fundamental unit of storage is XML document). So, I precise that I am looking for an XML-enabled system and NOT a native XML system.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
        • 1. Re: Looking for an XML-enabled database system
          AlexAnd
          >
          Oracle XML DB is the name for a set of Oracle Database technologies related to high-performance XML storage and retrieval. It provides native XML support by encompassing both SQL and XML data models in an interoperable manner.
          >
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/appdev.111/b28369/xdb01int.htm#i1047170
          • 2. Re: Looking for an XML-enabled database system
            Jason_(A_Non)
            You will also find the forum for those related questions over at {forum:id=34}

Oh yes, and the [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database-features/xmldb/overview/index.html]XML DB Home
            • 3. Re: Looking for an XML-enabled database system
              NicePseronMahou
              Thanks for your reply,
              But I am looking for an XML-enabled database, Oracle XML DB is a native database.
              • 4. Re: Looking for an XML-enabled database system
                AlexAnd
                i misunderstood your found thing

>
                But I am looking for an XML-enabled database, Oracle XML DB is a native database.
                >
                and
                >
                PS. For RDBMS handling XML data, we find two categories: XML-enabled systems (they store XML data using a special data type like BLOB, CLOB,...), or the native XML systems (which stor XML data in its hierarchical structure, so the fundamental unit of storage is XML document). So, I precise that I am looking for an XML-enabled system and NOT a native XML system.
                >

if i understand correctly you say

XML-enabled database - store XML data using a special data type like BLOB, CLOB
                native XML database - stor XML data in its hierarchical structure

in projection of oracle xml db you can store your xml in xmltype or in clob or in blob or as file in os
                so looks like that oracle xml db is XML-enabled native XML database :)

i'm going crazy ;)
                • 5. Re: Looking for an XML-enabled database system
                  odie_63
                  No, in essence, Oracle XML DB is an XML-enabled database.
                  It leverages Oracle's storage and memory management and SQL capabilities to handle XML content.
                  I am looking for a RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) that provides management of XML data in a relational fashion.
                  Oracle provides that for you, both using the Object-Relational storage feature or Binary XML with structured index.

Explain us what would be your typical use case and we can advise on the options you have.
                  • 6. Re: Looking for an XML-enabled database system
                    NicePseronMahou
                    Thanks again,

Yes you are right, Oracle is considered now as HYBRID Database (that handles XML data in both native and relational fashion).

Regards,
                    • 7. Re: Looking for an XML-enabled database system
                      NicePseronMahou
                      Thanks for your help,

To be more clear, I am looking for an XML-enabled database system (which provides only relational techniques to manage XML data).
                      Oracle is a Hybrid system (it means that it provides both native and relational fashions to manage XML data, e.g. you can store XML document as XMLType column (native way) or using BLOB data type (relational data type). I am collecting information about the three broad categories of XML database systems (native, XML-enabled, and Hybrid), and I would like to give example of each system. For example, there is BaseX and eXist-db for the first category (native systems), Oracle and IBM DB2 for the third category (each of theme manage XML data in both native and relational fashions). However, for the second category (XML-enabled systems), I don't find more information about the existing systems, there is for instance postgreSQL which is an XML-enabled system, but I don't find more information about its architecture, its XML data storage model, API for querying and updating, and so on.

Please don't hesitate to help me if you get some documentation about postgreSQL or about another XML-enabled database system.

Thank you again.

Best regards.
                      • 8. Re: Looking for an XML-enabled database system
                        odie_63
                        Oracle is a Hybrid system (it means that it provides both native and relational fashions to manage XML data, e.g. you can store XML document as XMLType column (native way) or using BLOB data type (relational data type).
                        OK, I thought you mean "relational" as in "access the data inside the XML document XML relationally".

Now, what I don't understand is why you insist on having an XML-enabled DB if ultimately you want to store XML in unstructured datatypes such BLOB or CLOB, both of which don't care if the data is XML or not.
                        Maybe I'm still missing your point...

Focusing on Oracle capabilities, the XMLType datatype has actually multiple flavours, depending on your storage strategy :

- binary XML (post-parsed, compact format)
                        - CLOB-based (deprecated)
                        - Object-Relational storage (for a highly data-oriented architecture)

Storing XML in BLOB or CLOB columns is not relevant to this discussion as it doesn't enable the DB to efficiently deal with XML content.