This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2013 2:03 PM by jrimblas RSS

Debug/No Debug behavior?  Keeps resetting.

Skip - Absolute Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
How should the Debug/No Debug setting in the Developer toolbar work?

My recollection is that before version 4.2, with debugging enabled for the application, when the Developer toolbar was showing, if I set Debug, the display would toggle to No Debug, and then keep debugging/tracing every page execution until I explicitly clicked No Debug. It acted like a mode setting.

Now in 4.2, I find that it will trace one or two page submissions, and then go back to the Debug display, and stop tracing. If I have an IR page, I can get it to trace the first execution, say with rowset of rows 1 - 15. The display continues to show No Debug, but when I go to the next rowset, and the next, I don't get any new page traces.

So is the Debug/No Debug link a mode selector, where you can be in Debug or No Debug mode, or is it an action button, where you have to have the display show Debug, and if you click it, you will get one and only one debug trace?

What am I not understanding? Here's the description from the Builder User's Guide:
To enable or disable Debug mode:

On the Workspace home page, click the Application Builder icon.

Run the application.

On the Developer Toolbar, click Debug.

The debugging mode is enabled. Debug data is captured in the background.

To disable debug mode, on the Developer Toolbar, click No Debug.
By the way, the primary reason I use Debug is to look at the query execution times, which seems to be shown in the "IR binding: "APXWS_MAX_ROW_CNT" value=" step. If there is a more direct way to capture and record the actual page source query execution time, it would be great to know.
  • 1. Re: Debug/No Debug behavior?  Keeps resetting.
    jrimblas Expert
    If I understand correctly, what I think is happening is that somewhere the links on your application do not include a &DEBUG. substitution on the URL.
    So... you turn debug on, navigate on some pages with debug and it's all good, then click on the link for a page that would turn debug off because the link doesn't say debug yes or no any more.
    Does this make sense?

Thanks
    -Jorge
  • 2. Re: Debug/No Debug behavior?  Keeps resetting.
    Skip - Absolute Newbie
    Jorge,

Sorry I didn't see this response.

I now see that the page URL gives an indication of Debug (YES/NO), and the link in the developer toolbar has something to do with setting that.

I have never worried about constructing links to pages, so I have no idea where to use the &DEBUG. substitution.

I still see that even with the URL indicating debug is on, i.e. ...ng.com:7780/pls/apex/f?p=820:45:9773235778171::YES, not all page actions are traced. For example, switching from report to group view, or switching from the primary to an alternate report.

Skip
  • 3. Re: Debug/No Debug behavior?  Keeps resetting.
    jrimblas Expert
    Skip - Absolute wrote:
    I still see that even with the URL indicating debug is on, i.e. ...ng.com:7780/pls/apex/f?p=820:45:9773235778171::YES, not all page actions are traced. For example, switching from report to group view, or switching from the primary to an alternate report.
    That's correct, that's a known limitation of the debug (or IR depending on your point of view). All actions performed with the IR after the page load are not captured on the debug information.
    However, they are captured on page load. Sometimes you can set your report to a specific layout and refresh the page to see useful information, But I think it's rare that would yield something different.

-Jorge

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points