This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2013 9:52 AM by 992901 RSS

Java 7u15/Windows 8 Won't run on my bank site

992901 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
My bank requires Java for scan deposits. Java 7 ran fine until update 13. I uninstalled it and went back to Java 6, which worked. Now I installed update 15, and it still doesn't work. I really don't want to be using Java 6. I have installed and reinstalled it many times. Uninstalled it, and reinstalled it each time. Used the Desktop, not the Start Menu in Windows 8. Used the manual installation as well as the automatic one. My bank's scan deposit feature still won't work. They also require using IE rather than Chrome, so I do that. Does someone know something I have overlooked?
  • 1. Re: Java 7u15/Windows 8 Won't run on my bank site
    gimbal2 Guru
    I wonder: do other applets work in update 15 on your system?

You are installing Java using java.com? You might try downloading and installing it "manually" from the Oracle download site:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

(click the download button under JRE)
  • 2. Re: Java 7u15/Windows 8 Won't run on my bank site
    992901 Newbie
    Thanks Gimbal2.

I noted in my post I had tried the manual download as well. I have spent hours doing exactly what you suggest, as well as anything else I can think of. I have uninstalled Java each time, then reinstalled it, both automatically from the download button and manually from the file. I have tried the 32-bit and the 64-bit (which they say is unnecessary, but thought I would try).

I don't have any other applications that need Java, but this one I need. I don't know why my bank uses Java for this and also requires IE. They must be stuck in some '90s programming world.
  • 3. Re: Java 7u15/Windows 8 Won't run on my bank site
    gimbal2 Guru
    989898 wrote:
    I noted in my post I had tried the manual download as well.
    Oops, my bad.
    I don't have any other applications that need Java, but this one I need. I don't know why my bank uses Java for this and also requires IE. They must be stuck in some '90s programming world.
    I don't understand the IE requirement, no. That may relate to the rest of the website, perhaps they use ActiveX or something.

What you can do is manually install Java 7 update 13 (you can download it here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase7-521261.html) and don't update it until either Oracle fixes an issue you're running into, or the bank makes the software compatible again :/
  • 4. Re: Java 7u15/Windows 8 Won't run on my bank site
    992901 Newbie
    Thanks. 7u13 was when the trouble started. There's something in it that's broken because Java 7 worked fine before then. I was hoping it would be fixed by 15, but no luck. I will try once more, then it's back to Java 6 and taking my chances. I can't find a previous version of Java 7 to go back to.

Is there any way to communicate with Oracle about this in hopes they'll look into it? I think I'm part of a very small subset of people trying to use the scanner program with my bank on Windows 8 with Java 7X.

The IE thing is nuts, but the scan program won't work in Chrome, and when I actually managed talked to a real tech support person, he told me it only works with IE, Firefox, and Safari. My insurance company (also a bank) has the same thing--only IE, Firefox, and Safari.
  • 5. Re: Java 7u15/Windows 8 Won't run on my bank site
    gimbal2 Guru
    989898 wrote:
    I can't find a previous version of Java 7 to go back to.
    What do you mean? The url I gave you has ALL versions.
    >
    Is there any way to communicate with Oracle about this in hopes they'll look into it?
    If you're lucky an Oracle employee sees this thread and responds to it - that happens around once a week as far as I can tell and you only get a response when there is a known issue. Other than that - get a support contract. You are not going to do that, but regardless the first stop is still your bank. Its their product that does not work, even with a support contract Oracle is not going to take any action at all until you have proof it is their tech that is broken. In other words - you're stuck.
  • 6. Re: Java 7u15/Windows 8 Won't run on my bank site
    992901 Newbie
    Yeah, I knew I was stuck, although there was a form on the Java site to fill out about problems, which I did.

I downloaded Java 6 and got my bank deposit made.

My bank denies any problems on their end, and they're probably right, since it all works up until the later Java 7 updates.

I'll just wait to be notified that there's a security breach. :(

I just read an article that our problem is our need for convenience. Being able to make scan deposits from our computer or phone just gives hackers more opportunity to get into our systems and make mischief.

I'm finding tech much less user-friendly these days in any case.
    Thanks for your interest and help.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points