1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 11:24 PM by Aman.... RSS

dbca and diskgroup

sonidba
      I am working on windows 7 ultimate. I have installed grid infra 11.2.0.1. Firstly, I install the software only. Then I used ASMCA to create ASM. ASm and diskgroup has been created successfully. Later, I installed the database software 11.2.
      Then , I am using DBCA to create the database using ASM. But I stucked on the page where I need to select storage options. diskgroups are not displaying here. I have googled. Got lots of solution. But still I failed.
      ASm instance is running and diskgroup is mounted.
      I am using administrator user to perform all the tasks.

Please help.
        • 1. Re: dbca and diskgroup
          Mihael
          May be, to use ASM, you should choose RAC one node database, not single instance.
          • 2. Re: dbca and diskgroup
            sonidba
            we can use asm for single instance also.
            • 3. Re: dbca and diskgroup
              Mihael
              then you can try the following:
              1. Choose file system
              2. Create only scripts for database creaton
              3. Modify first script, i.e. "create database" statement, set diskgroup instead of files
              4. Run the scripts
              • 4. Re: dbca and diskgroup
                Osama_Mustafa
                Mihael wrote:
                May be, to use ASM, you should choose RAC one node database, not single instance.
                You can configure Single Node ASM.
                • 5. Re: dbca and diskgroup
                  Osama_Mustafa
                  Check the below document :
                  http://myoracleworld.hobby-electronics.net/DB-create-ASM-on-11GR2.html
                  http://asanga-pradeep.blogspot.com/2011/11/asm-for-standalone-server-in-11gr2-with.html
                  • 6. Re: dbca and diskgroup
                    Mihael
                    You can configure Single Node ASM.
                    Yes, thank you. I remember that for 11.1 ASM was not part of GI as for 10g, but now we should install GI to use ASM.
                    • 7. Re: dbca and diskgroup
                      EdStevens
                      snip.

Edited by: EdStevens on Feb 24, 2013 1:24 PM
                      • 8. Re: dbca and diskgroup
                        Aman....
                        sonidba wrote:
                        I am working on windows 7 ultimate. I have installed grid infra 11.2.0.1. Firstly, I install the software only. Then I used ASMCA to create ASM. ASm and diskgroup has been created successfully. Later, I installed the database software 11.2.
                        Then , I am using DBCA to create the database using ASM. But I stucked on the page where I need to select storage options. diskgroups are not displaying here. I have googled. Got lots of solution. But still I failed.
                        ASm instance is running and diskgroup is mounted.
                        I am using administrator user to perform all the tasks.
                        I haven't used Windows at all to install and configure either hte database or ASM so not sure how much help I would be able to provide.But you said, you found lots of solutions and tried them so in brief, what you have tried so far? Also, did you ensure that the devices that you have created have got proper privs and the account responsible for installing oracle databsae is able to see them?

Aman....
                        • 9. Re: dbca and diskgroup
                          sonidba
                          I am only using a single user , administrator.
                          On a single machine I first installed Grid infra, then oracle database.

Oracle_base= c:\app\administrator

Oracle_home= c:\app\administrator\product\11.2\dbhome_1

Grid_home is in C:\app\11.2\grid

What kind of permission should I check on Windows. Windows do not have any concept of suid bit.
                          • 10. Re: dbca and diskgroup
                            sonidba
                            The extract of log file inside $ORACLE_HOME/cfgtoolslogs/dbca/

[AWT-EventQueue-0] [ 2013-02-25 14:50:25.681 IST ] [Utils.getLocalHost:356] Hostname retrieved: WIN-KSG22EGJ0VC, returned: WIN-KSG22EGJ0VC
                            [AWT-EventQueue-0] [ 2013-02-25 14:50:25.681 IST ] [WindowsSystem.dorunRemoteExecCmd:2061] WS: Calling windowsNative with cmd: C:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\getcrshome.exe
                            [AWT-EventQueue-0] [ 2013-02-25 14:50:26.695 IST ] [WindowsSystem.dorunRemoteExecCmd:2064] WS: WinNative returned: true
                            [AWT-EventQueue-0] [ 2013-02-25 14:50:26.695 IST ] [WindowsSystem.dorunRemoteExecCmd:2078] WS: remote command executed, but didn't return zero.
                            [AWT-EventQueue-0] [ 2013-02-25 14:50:26.695 IST ] [*GETCRSHOMEUtil.getCRS_HOME:147] cmdTool.execute() failed.*
                            [AWT-EventQueue-0] [ 2013-02-25 14:50:26.695 IST ] [HAUtils.isHASConfigured:364] Ignoring exception in isHASConfigured: PRCT-1400 : getcrshome execution failed. Detailed
                            • 12. Re: dbca and diskgroup
                              sonidba
                              change dhcp to static ip address.

dbca is not displaying diskgroups.
                              • 13. Re: dbca and diskgroup
                                oralicious
                                use asmtool on windows or the gui asmtoolg to verify you can see the disks and theyre stamped correctly before going near DBCA.

If you can see them with asmtool, youll seem them with dbca
                                • 14. Re: dbca and diskgroup
                                  sonidba
                                  asmtool -l is displying asm disks
                                  1 2 Previous Next