This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2013 2:40 AM by r035198x RSS

Oracle EJB / Persistance certification study guide

993044 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello -

I'm sorry if I've asked a redundant question, if I have let me know.

I want to take the either the "Java Persistence API Developer" or "Enterprise JavaBeans Developer" certification exams from Oracle, but I'm having a hard time identifying a good study book. There used to be a couple of good books for the old Sun Web Developer exam (I recall that the O'Rielly HeadFirst series had a very nice one), but I haven't found anything for these current exams. Also, the published "Apress" makes a guide for the Oracle Java 7 exam, but doesn't seem to make one specifically targeted at the two more advanced certs I mentioned.

I've been a professional J2EE developer for 10 years now, and have used EJB, Hibernate, EJB3, etc for this entire time. I feel comfortable developing applications in this realm, I was really just looking for a well organized study guide / workbook to help prep me for the exam.

VR,
David
  • 1. Re: Oracle EJB / Persistance certification study guide
    gimbal2 Guru
    990041 wrote:
    Hello -

I'm sorry if I've asked a redundant question, if I have let me know.

I want to take the either the "Java Persistence API Developer" or "Enterprise JavaBeans Developer" certification exams from Oracle, but I'm having a hard time identifying a good study book. There used to be a couple of good books for the old Sun Web Developer exam (I recall that the O'Rielly HeadFirst series had a very nice one), but I haven't found anything for these current exams. Also, the published "Apress" makes a guide for the Oracle Java 7 exam, but doesn't seem to make one specifically targeted at the two more advanced certs I mentioned.

I've been a professional J2EE developer for 10 years now, and have used EJB, Hibernate, EJB3, etc for this entire time. I feel comfortable developing applications in this realm, I was really just looking for a well organized study guide / workbook to help prep me for the exam.
    10 years of experience is a far better prep than a book. I would check out the certification descriptions on the Oracle site for further reference material as advised by Oracle itself. Likely there may be even training classes involved.
  • 2. Re: Oracle EJB / Persistance certification study guide
    jwenting Journeyer
    A certification study book is great, in that it can help you review all the cornercases and little things you never or rarely encounter in practice, prepare you to give the answers Oracle wants you to give rather than the answers you know are correct in practice (best practice sometimes deviates from what certification exams want you to say, as we all know).

And using one that includes practice exams can help even more :)

As to books for these specific exams, possibly none exist (yet). For the more advanced Sun/Oracle exams books are often slow in coming, it's not unknown for books to not reach printing before the exam is retired (sadly).
  • 3. Re: Oracle EJB / Persistance certification study guide
    gimbal2 Guru
    jwenting wrote:
    A certification study book is great, in that it can help you review all the cornercases and little things you never or rarely encounter in practice, prepare you to give the answers Oracle wants you to give rather than the answers you know are correct in practice (best practice sometimes deviates from what certification exams want you to say, as we all know).
    In any other case I would agree with you, but JEE is so friggin' huge I don't see a book working like that. You'd need a pile of books. But if the topic is limited to EJBs and persistence then perhaps yes, although even that is outside of certfication split into different books. Any book on EJBs I have read only brushes upon the topic of persistence and shows the basic things you can do, you need a book like Pro JPA 2 to go deeper.
  • 4. Re: Oracle EJB / Persistance certification study guide
    r035198x Pro
    My experience with oracle certifications is that specifications contain all the information that is asked. When you don't have books just get the specification documents for the API the exam is for. Make sure to try some sample questions as well to find out the level of detail required.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points