1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2013 8:13 AM by user10274093 RSS

upgrade to 11g R2

user10274093
      Hi,
      to upgrade to 11g R2 from 10.2 :
      -any way to estimate the time of upgrade ?
      -what are the risks and danger ?
      Thanks.
        • 1. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
          CKPT
          user10274093 wrote:
          Hi,
          Thanks.
          Estimation of upgrade wont depend on your database size. It depends on either in-place upgrade or not,
          It also depends on if you have any invalid registry components in 10gR2 database.

Risks depends if there is any issues while installing ORACLE_HOME if in case any RPM's missing so on (or) you may stuck when running upgrade script.
          Completely it depends.

Take a look on 11.2.0.1 Base Release - Availability and Known Issues [ID 880707.1]
          • 2. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
            Aman....
            CKPT wrote:
            user10274093 wrote:
            Hi,
            Thanks.
            Estimation of upgrade wont depend on your database size. It depends on either in-place upgrade or not,
            Till 11.2 , you only have in-place upgrade. Only from 11202 onwards you have out-of-place upgrade possible.

Aman....
            • 3. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
              Aman....
              user10274093 wrote:
              Hi,
              Not really, there could be many factors which would be limiting or governing it.
              Well, very subjective question and would entirely depend on what you are using right now and how it would behave in 11.2

Sorry but you haven't given a very precise question and unless you don't have one, it's not possible to say anything except that it depends .

Aman....
              • 4. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
                CKPT
                Till 11.2 , you only have in-place upgrade. Only from 11202 onwards you have out-of-place upgrade possible.

Aman....
                Waiting for the inputs from the OP, Where he want to upgrade [11201] or > [11201]
                • 5. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
                  Osama_Mustafa
                  You can refer to MOS note :
                  How to estimate the time required to upgrade a database? [ID 739485.1]
                  • 6. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
                    Aman....
                    Hmm I think OP said,
                    Aman....
                    • 7. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
                      user10274093
                      thanks to all.
                      Is 11.2.0.5 64 bit , the last version for AIX ?

Regards.
                      • 8. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
                        Aman....
                        user10274093 wrote:
                        thanks to all.

Regards.
                        I don't use AIX myself so I would suggest that you raise the same to Support who would be in a better position to answer it.

Aman....
                        • 9. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
                          Osama_Mustafa
                          user10274093 wrote:
                          thanks to all.

Regards.
                          The last version of AIX OS is 7.1 you can check :
                          http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/v71/index.html

you have to make sure it's certified with database before upgrade .
                          • 10. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
                            user10274093
                            Thanks again.
                            About version :

on oracle delivery I see :
                            Oracle® Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0.1.0) Media Pack for IBM AIX on POWER Systems (64-bit)

Where can I see the last patch set ?

If we have many HINTS in our SQL scripts. Might it be some difficulty to upgrade ?

Regards.
                            • 11. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
                              CKPT
                              Aman.... wrote:
                              Hmm I think OP said,
                              Aman....
                              Am just back, I like to understand the terminology,
                              Lets suppose a host installed of 10.2 and want to upgrade to new host. In that process we do install 11.2.0.1 or 11.2.0.2 directly because we don't need any base release softwares either. Even assume OP need to upgrade 11.2.0.1 to a new host, What is the name for such upgrade in the above scenario ?

@OP,

>
                              Oracle® Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0.1.0) Media Pack for IBM AIX on POWER Systems (64-bit)
                              If we have many HINTS in our SQL scripts. Might it be some difficulty to upgrade ?
                              >

You can download software from http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/index.html , For 11.2.0.2 Patch:10098816
                              I recommend you to review certifications tab in My Oracle Support to check compatibility between OS and RDBMS
                              • 12. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
                                Osama_Mustafa
                                user10274093 wrote:
                                Thanks again.
                                About version :

Regards.
                                The latest patch now is 11.2.0.3 You can download it from https://support.oracle.com , But what about your AIX version
                                • 13. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
                                  user10274093
                                  Thanks to all.
                                  Any information about Hints after Upgrade ?

Regards.
                                  • 14. Re: upgrade to 11g R2
                                    Rob_J
                                    Hi,

If you want to know how long it takes to upgrade your DB, i think it's not dependent upon database size but the size of the dictionary objects which need to be upgraded. An upgrade doesn't change any of your data, just the dictionary.

You can export/clone/whatever a full version of the dictionary and objects from your primary DB and refresh it to a DEV environment and test it there. If you can just clone the whole db, even better. So, in theory just take all the meta data and not the actual data.

You could look at [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10821/optplanmgmt.htm]SQL Plan management to preserve your good plans for 10g, or leave optimizer_features_enabled at 10 and not change it to 11. That's two options.

This [url http://www.ora00600.com/articles/10g-to-11g-database-upgrade.html]10g to 11g step-by-step guide might help you, it might not...

Rob
                                    1 2 Previous Next