This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 10:43 PM by User486261-OC RSS

Install Solaris 5.10 64 bit with Raid 1

User486261-OC Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Oracle Support
At present I have two server X2270 with information below :
S erver 1 have 4 h ard d isk ( 1 h ard d isk = 1TB)
S erver 2 have a h ard d isk ( 1 h ard d isk = 1TB)
I want to Move one HDD from server list order no.1 to server list order no.2. Mean 1 of 4 HDD of server1 will move to server2
And it should be: server1 has 1TB x3 HDD and server2 has 2TBx2
After , Server1 configure with RAID5, server2 configure with RAID1 .
I configured Raid 1 on Server 2 but when I install Solaris , I don’t see Hard disk configured Raid 1 .
Thanks
LuyệnTV
  • 1. Re: Install Solaris 5.10 64 bit with Raid 1
    995017 Newbie
    Just because you have two disks doesn't mean that Solaris will automatically use them as mirrors. You have to set this up, using SVM, ZFS VxVM, or the hardware RAID controller. Sometimes you can do this as part of the install, often it's done afterwards.
    You haven't said what type of root file system your Solaris is on, so it's not possible to give you a procedure to mirror the boot drive.

If you use hardware RAID, it will zero any data on the drives, so that's probably out. I suspect you are using hardware management on your first system, as Solaris can't boot from a software striped or RAID5 device. This had to be setup before Solaris was installed on that system.
  • 2. Re: Install Solaris 5.10 64 bit with Raid 1
    User486261-OC Newbie
    Hi ,
    I know what to do . Thanks for support and have a nice day :)
    Regards ,
    LuyệnTV
  • 3. Re: Install Solaris 5.10 64 bit with Raid 1
    User486261-OC Newbie
    Hi ,
    I have any questions with this issue .
    1 .I configured Raid 1 in BIOS . Can I configured RAID 1 before install Solaris or I must configure RAID1 after install Solaris ?
    2 .Can I configue RAID 5 in BIOS ? or What I use CD or Software . I want to configure Raid 5 before I install Solaris , Can I do so ? . If not I can install Solaris and after configure RAID 5 with only 3 HDD ( include OS and RAID 5 )
    Pls give me some advice ,
    Thanks for help ,
    LuyệnTV

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points