6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2013 12:01 PM by clcarter RSS

How to install oracle database 11g express edition on Windows 7

Ambrosiano
      Hi Guys,

i am trying to download and install Oracle database 11g express edition on windows7 and i can't seem to get it right. i did get the download but when i try to install, it keeps saying it appears to be an invalid archive.
      Please help..
        • 1. Re: How to install oracle database 11g express edition on Windows 7
          Hi,

Unzip both files into same folder

--
          Bala:)
          • 2. Re: How to install oracle database 11g express edition on Windows 7
            Ambrosiano
            Thanks Bala, i did unzip the file but it keeps tell me to download it again. i will try that again now but still it's not working.
            • 3. Re: How to install oracle database 11g express edition on Windows 7
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              Pl identify which version of Win 7 - supported versions are documented - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18803/toc.htm#BABGGAJA

If you are using a supported OS version, pl post the complete error code and message. Pl post the contents of the install log file.

install_directory\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\config\log directory. (install_directory is typically c:\oraclexe.)

HTH
              Srini
              • 5. Re: How to install oracle database 11g express edition on Windows 7
                Ambrosiano
                thanks guys. well i did manage to reinstall but below is the error message when i almost finished the installation

[INS-20802] Oracle Database Configuration

Assistant failed.

Cause - The plug-in failed in its perform method

Action - Refer to the logs or contact Oracle

Support Services. Log File Location
                C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\logs

\installActions2013-02-26_03-24-40PM.log

Please help..
                • 6. Re: How to install oracle database 11g express edition on Windows 7
                  clcarter
                  Action - Refer to the logs or contact Oracle
                  Finding the problem is the key. "Refer to the logs" is the only option, XE has no oracle support offerings.

Which plugin failed, and why did it fail will be important clues. There should be error messages in the log that will be helpful.

Otherwise, we don't have much help to offer. Fixing a problem means identifying the problem and performing steps to correct it, if there a fix is available.

A MOS lookup on the ins-20802 error has snippets from one installer session, this one is from an x64 install. Not x86. To paraphrase the details:
                  ... Created a new file <drive>:<OH path>\cfgtoollogs\configToolAllCommands
                  SEVERE: java.io.IOException: Access is denied
                  So from those symptoms, the user trying to run the installer does not have appropriate rights on that drive and/or folder. The fix for that particular problem is adding the user to the local administrators group. And rerunning the install. After running the deinstall steps to clean up the installation. As specified in the XE install guide for Windows.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18803/toc.htm

Also note the System Requirements, it specifies a System architecture Intel x86, which is not X64. There is no X64 installer for XE on Windows. So it might work. Or it might not if your host is x64.

So if that is your particular error, verify that your user is in the local admins group. Either use the local users and groups applet (Start/Run/lusrmgr.msc) and open up the Administrators group. Click the Add button. Find your user. If your OS user is a windows domain user, be sure you have authenticated to the domain.

Try the `net ...` list of the adminis group, that should reveal whom is indeed in the local administrators group:
                  net localgroup administrators
                  Administrator
                  <domain>\Domain Admins ... # ??? is the host in windows domain ???
                  <domain>\Local Admins 
                  <domain>\<user1>
                  <user2>
                  <user3>
                  echo %USERNAME%
                  # if relevant:
                  echo %USERDOMAIN%
                  Like it also states in the Windows install guide, under Permission Required quote:
                  ... must be a member of the Administrators group on Windows to install Oracle Database XE.