2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 10:34 AM by 602594 RSS

Unable to Connect, ORA 12154, Setup routine for Microsoft ODBC errors

Hi all,

I have a Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit SP1 system and I wanted to be able to connect to an oracle database server. However, I am facing a problem with ODBC configuration.

I have currently installed both below in ... product\11.2.0\client_1 folder:
      1. Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64) - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html
      2. 64-bit Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

I launched ODBC Data Source Administrator and added a User DSN but resulted to two errors:
      1. The setup routines for the Microsoft ODBC for oracle ODBC driver could not be found. Please reintall the driver.
      2. The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the driver and application.

On top of that, if I go to System DSN tab, and tried to test the connection it give me an error:
      1. Unable to connect SQLState = 08004 [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12154: TNS: Could not resolved the identifier specified.

Can someone please guide me through this? Thanks in advance!

Edited by: VTech on Feb 26, 2013 2:13 PM
        • 1. Re: Unable to Connect, ORA 12154, Setup routine for Microsoft ODBC errors
          Tridus
          VTech wrote:
          Hi all,

I have a Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit SP1 system and I wanted to be able to connect to an oracle database server. However, I am facing a problem with ODBC configuration.

I have currently installed both below in ... product\11.2.0\client_1 folder:
          1. Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64) - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html
          2. 64-bit Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html
          You only need one of these (the second one should suffice).
          I launched ODBC Data Source Administrator and added a User DSN but resulted to two errors:
          1. The setup routines for the Microsoft ODBC for oracle ODBC driver could not be found. Please reintall the driver.
          "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" is a different provider than "Oracle ODBC". Make sure you're not using the Microsoft one.
          2. The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the driver and application.
          This can happen if you're mixing 32-bit and 64-bit. There's two ODBC control panels in Windows 7:
          - the 64 bit one is the one in control panel
          - the 32 bit one is c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe

Since you're using a 64 bit Oracle driver, you should be using the 64 bit ODBC administrator, and 64 bit applications. If you're trying to use this ODBC connection with a 32 bit application, you'll need to use the 32 bit ODBC (and the 32 bit Oracle driver).
          On top of that, if I go to System DSN tab, and tried to test the connection it give me an error:
          1. Unable to connect SQLState = 08004 [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12154: TNS: Could not resolved the identifier specified.
          Well that actually means it's loading Oracle correctly, so that's something. You need to add an entry for the server you want to connect to into tnsnames.ora, located in the \network\admin folder inside of your Oracle client installation. Since it sounds like someone else set up the server you want to connect to, your DBA should be able to provide the information that goes into the file.
          • 2. Re: Unable to Connect, ORA 12154, Setup routine for Microsoft ODBC errors
            Hi Tridus,

Thank you very much!

I got everything working now. Apart from above, I forgot to include the tnsnames.ora, sql.ora, and listener.ora files into my Oracle home directory in which I think may have caused a connection problem.