This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 8:36 AM by ssondere RSS

SQL History -- won't display

ssondere Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I love SQL Developer. I love the SQL History feature.

However, I'm distraught. Recently, the SQL History stopped loving me back. It just won't display -- either from F-8 or from the View menu. From what I can tell, it looks like the history files are still being written. I've looked through all of my settings and can't see anything amiss.

I could really use some help if anyone knows the magic word to make my History reappear.

thanks,
--scott                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 1. Re: SQL History -- won't display
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM ACE Moderator
    Hopefully it's the windowing layout settings that's messed up.

Shutdown sqldev

Find this file

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system3.2.20.09.87\o.ide.11.1.1.4.37.59.48\windowinglayout.xml Just exit SQL Developer, ...

Delete it

Re-open SQLDev and try again.

If it still doesn't work, it's mostly like due to the history index being corrupted - it's trying to reference a history item (file) that doesn't exist.

You could try running SQLDev and capturing the console output to see what's going wrong - see the sticky note at the top of the forums for directions on doing this.
  • 2. Re: SQL History -- won't display
    ssondere Newbie
    I closed SQL Developer.

Deleted C:\Documents and Settings\<me>\Application Data\SQL Developer\system3.2.20.09.87\o.ide.11.1.1.4.37.59.48\windowinglayout.xml (sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm stuck in XP).

Still no love. I opened SQL Developer and still can't see the SQL History, either through F-8 or through the View menu. It just ignored me. It's like it just doesn't care anymore :)

No messages in the console window. Again, I felt so ignored.....

So, I looked at the possibility of a history files/indexes being bad. Since I don't totally know how it works, I just guessed based on file and directory names. There's not much to lose at this point, so why not?

I deleted all of the files in C:\Documents and Settings\<me>\Application Data\SQL Developer

I also cleaned out all of the files in all of the directories under C:\Documents and Settings\<me>\Application Data\SQL Developer\system3.2.20.09.87\.history

I may not have needed to do both steps (I got impatient), but that did the trick!! SQL History loves me again!!

Thanks for putting me on the right path.

--scott

Edited by: ssondere on Feb 28, 2013 8:35 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points