1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 27, 2013 1:00 PM by Howard (... in Training) RSS

Textarea with counter + newlines = ORA-01461

foobarbaz
      Hi,

I have a column VARCHAR2(100) and textarea with counter is used to collect data. Maximum width for textarea is 100.
      When I try to save 99 alphanumeric characters and 1 newline I get "ORA-01461:     can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column" error.

One newline is counted as 1 character by textarea, when in fact 2 characters are stored: carriage return and line feed.

Apex version is 3.1.2, but the same problem exists on 4.2.1 (apex.oracle.com).

Regards,
      Sebastian
        • 1. Re: Textarea with counter + newlines = ORA-01461
          Howard (... in Training)
          Sebastian,
          >
          I have a column VARCHAR2(100) and textarea with counter is used to collect data. Maximum width for textarea is 100.
          When I try to save 99 alphanumeric characters and 1 newline I get "ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column" error.

One newline is counted as 1 character by textarea, when in fact 2 characters are stored: carriage return and line feed.

Apex version is 3.1.2, but the same problem exists on 4.2.1 (apex.oracle.com).
          >
          Hi. Like they say on TV sometimes: "Is there a question in there?"

I gather you don't want it to work this way. Okay? What are you trying to achieve? What do you want to happen?

I guess if there will always be an EOL, then make the field 101 long. Or do you get the error no matter what length you make the field? I can suggest that you not allow newlines or you strip them off after they are entered. Would either of those ideas work?

Kind regards,
          Howard