This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 1:06 AM by 972461 RSS

Lost symlink on transferring DVD content to usb

972461 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am making the usb installation source for OL 6.3. I got the problem that all symlink on usb device are lost. I know that FAT32 file system does not support symlink creation. below path for example

[root@ol63 media]# find . -type l -exec ls -l {} \;
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 11 Jun 26 2012 ./HighAvailability/Packages -> ../Packages
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 11 Jun 26 2012 ./LoadBalancer/Packages -> ../Packages
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 11 Jun 26 2012 ./ResilientStorage/Packages -> ../Packages
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 11 Jun 26 2012 ./ScalableFileSystem/Packages -> ../Packages
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 11 Jun 26 2012 ./Server/Packages -> ../Packages
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 11 Jun 26 2012 ./UEK2/Packages -> ../Packages
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 15 Jun 26 2012 ./repodata -> Server/repodata

I can't finish my installation and it show that the installation source can not be found.

So what is the work around solution for me. What is the benefit of those symlink ? I'm thinking that I would create it on ext3 fs instead , or just use the whole iso file put in the 2'nd partition of the usb device.

Thank you in advance for the answer.

Kan

Edited by: 969458 on 27 ก.พ. 2556, 9:14 น.
  • 1. Re: Lost symlink on transferring DVD content to usb
    Dude! Guru
    You cannot simply copy files to a USB stick and expect it to be bootable or a valid source to install Linux. You need to use an appropriate files system. For linux, FAT or NTFS will not work. In order for the USB stick to be bootable you need to copy or create the appropriate bootstrap code. Perhaps the following will solve your problems:

http://iso2usb.sourceforge.net/
  • 2. Re: Lost symlink on transferring DVD content to usb
    972461 Newbie
    Maybe I provide not enough information.
    Yep, I also install syslinux and configure the syslinux.cfg and ks.cfg for the installation and it can boot up ,read the kickstart file , process the pre% section and running the stage2.

The iso2usb tool use this kind of step too I think.

I try to prove that lost symlink cause this issue by copying the repodata folder from /Server/repodata to the root path of installation source. Now the error gone but how can I manage the rest of symlink as show at the first tread.
  • 3. Re: Lost symlink on transferring DVD content to usb
    972461 Newbie
    I can make it works now.

Harddrive option (repo=hd:sdx:/) does not support installation tree. I have to put the DVD iso on the usb instead. Only nfs,ftp and http perform installation tree. lol

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points