This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 5:32 AM by gimbal2 RSS

java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException on WatchService

358893 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am testing a program using Java 7 WatchService to watch a directory and get an error:

java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /media/C852-8B2A
java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /media/C852-8B2A
     at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:86)
     at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.asIOException(UnixException.java:111)
     at sun.nio.fs.LinuxWatchService$Poller.implRegister(LinuxWatchService.java:243)
     at sun.nio.fs.AbstractPoller.processRequests(AbstractPoller.java:260)
     at sun.nio.fs.LinuxWatchService$Poller.run(LinuxWatchService.java:326)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

this exception shows on Ubuntu, but not on Windows.
The exception was correct: the directory was gone. But this exception shows on the console. I would like to catch it. How to catch this exception in my application?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException on WatchService
    rp0428 Guru
    We cannot debug code that we cannot see.

So try the example from the Java Tutorial and see if it works the way you expect.
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/io/notification.html
  • 2. Re: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException on WatchService
    358893 Newbie
    There is no bug. The directory was gone. The exception is correct. My program runs as expected.
    My question is: I do not want the error be on the console. I would like to catch it. But I do not know how to catch it. Is there a way to access the thread?

Edited by: _w**** on Feb 27, 2013 7:29 PM                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 3. Re: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException on WatchService
    rp0428 Guru
  • 4. Re: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException on WatchService
    jtahlborn Expert
    rp0428 wrote:
    i believe the code the OP is referring to is within the jdk. looking at the LinuxWatchService, it looks like the handling of the FileNotFoundException is outside of the user's control. the exception is thrown and caught in a utility Thread run by the LinuxWatchService, which prints the exception using Throwable.printStackTrace(). yuck.
  • 5. Re: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException on WatchService
    jtahlborn Expert
    deleting, web browser double post.
  • 6. Re: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException on WatchService
    gimbal2 Guru
    jtahlborn wrote:
    i believe the code the OP is referring to is within the jdk. looking at the LinuxWatchService, it looks like the handling of the FileNotFoundException is outside of the user's control. the exception is thrown and caught in a utility Thread run by the LinuxWatchService, which prints the exception using Throwable.printStackTrace(). yuck.
    That you still find this terrible practice in JDK code in the 21st century :/
    That you still find this terrible practice in JDK code in the 21st century :/

I guess you could hook it by setting your own System.err instance that does not output anything, but then you lose all System err output of course. Perhaps that is not a problem.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points