3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 3:35 AM by gimbal2 RSS

What is the best framework to choose with netbeansIDE7.2.1

HI,

I dont know whether this is a right place for my question .I am quite new to j2EE web application .I am using netbeans ide7.2.1. now i am confusing to choose a framework for my web application . which framework i really need to learn for a better web application that using MVC pattern and java tags and there must be wide opening for the future needs and better documentation.

i am thinking about struts 2.3 and spring3.1.

Please give your suggestion for this problem.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: What is the best framework to choose with netbeansIDE7.2.1
          EJP
          It's not a question with much meaning as posed. The answer depends mostly on your business and technical requirements, and on what you are already using in the organization, and hardly if at all on the IDE, and even then you are going to have to choose somehow between a shortlist, rather than coming to a single magic answer. This is a business and technical decision, not just a general knowledge question you can get an answer for on a forum.
          • 2. Re: What is the best framework to choose with netbeansIDE7.2.1
            Kayaman
            Learning the Java EE stack with JSF & friends is an obvious solution.
            • 3. Re: What is the best framework to choose with netbeansIDE7.2.1
              gimbal2
              I would start by doing a practice project using servlets only running on tomcat, to get a feel for writing, configuring and deploying a web application.

My current list of frameworks i would personally think about using when doing a project are:

Jsf 2.1 (java)
              Wicket 6 (java)
              Play framework 2 (scala)
              Spring 3+ (java)
              Google web toolkit (java/javascript)

In order from likely to least likely. I must warn that jsf and wicket, although cool and powerful, are not really frameworks for novices. You need to study, research, experiment and know a lot to effectively use them. Wicket especially has some easy to overlook traps that can bite you when you can least need it depending on what you use it for. Play framework is a lot simpler to pick up, you can be off with it in days.

Spring is a bit of an odd duck as it is a lot more than just a web framework, its an entire integrated platform really. Very decent documentation and a large community makes it a good choice to start with imo, but it is huge so expect to be thoroughly lost when starting out. And perhaps it is overkill for what you want to do.