2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 5:20 AM by PhHein RSS

Java 7 upgrade fails and wont easily reinstall or uninstall

Hi,

We are using w7en x64 with Java x86 (we only use ie x86) and we've so far upgraded Java three times. From 6u31 to 7u5, then to 7u7, 7u13 and now we are about to install 7u15. (Using Symantec Patch Management.)

But during all previous upgrades java has only installed "halfway" on a bunch of computers and reinstall, repair or uninstall wont work and you have to either install a newer version (if there is one) or clean the filesystem/registry from Java.

For this 7u15 upgrade, I activated the new patch on just 6 computers and the upgrade failed on 2 of them.

The problem seems to be because msvcr100.dll is in use?

From the Java_install_reg.log

-- RemoveInstalledFiles: DeleteFile(C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\msvcr100.dll) failed. (GetLastError=5)
      -- Retrying RemoveInstalledFiles
      -- RemoveInstalledFiles: DeleteFile(C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\msvcr100.dll) failed. (GetLastError=5)

From the Java_install.log

extracting: bin/msvcr100.dllError:fopen: while opening file <bin/msvcr100.dll>
      (The log ends after that line, so the installer seems to quit.)

Is there a good way to make sure that this does not happen, and also to "repair" the java installation after it fails like this?
        • 1. Re: Java 7 upgrade fails and wont easily reinstall or uninstall
          990932 is totally right, I am having the same problem and cannot justify it under any circumstances, there is no way to fix this, we need help, many people I know who have come to me, are having this problem, I use to be good at fixing these problems and this one, stumps me to the point that professional service tech. cannot also repair it and are installing others, many are moving on to other dealers, also the removal of your Java is at a point that on 9 out of every ten computers the Java will not un-install to re-install, you need a link to go into computers to clean out the corrupt versions, all of them, so this is not a small problem, it is a very large concern! Something really needs to be done as your losing customers!
          Respectfully Submitted!
          • 2. Re: Java 7 upgrade fails and wont easily reinstall or uninstall
            PhHein
            This is a user to user forum. Log a SR at Oracle.

Mod: Locking this thread.