This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2013 10:21 PM by BillyVerreynne RSS

Oracle Linux Market Share

Stuart Fleming Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Does anyone know what Oracle's Linux Market share is?

Perhaps not the best place to post this question, but I could not find it elsewhere.

Thank you,
Stuart
  • 1. Re: Oracle Linux Market Share
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    Hello,

i don't have an answer for that question, and I think will be hard to came with a number.

So, what you are after? trying to get traction for Oracle Linux vs other Linux? or vs other Unix?

For those there is plenty of material.

Alvaro
  • 2. Re: Oracle Linux Market Share
    Stuart Fleming Explorer
    I am just assessing the market. Partially to know if I should consider training specifically for Oracle Linux, or another brand.
  • 3. Re: Oracle Linux Market Share
    Dude! Guru
    According to http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/027614.pdf Oracle Database is #1 on Linux with more than 82% market share. Since Oracle Database under Linux is only supported on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Oracle Linux and Suse, and since Oracle Linux beside the UEK kernel is the same binary and source as RHEL, the choice should not be very difficult. I'd choose Oracle Linux.

And for what it's worth:
    http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/1654914

I imagine that since patches and errata are free for Oracle Linux since March 2012, there are probably a lot more people using Oracle Linux today than there were 2 years ago.

Edited by: Dude on Feb 28, 2013 7:00 PM
  • 4. Re: Oracle Linux Market Share
    Stuart Fleming Explorer
    I imagine the db to be a pretty strong product, but it isnt clear from the article how much market share for linux there is. I read somewhere else that there were 8500 customers, but again, by linux market share, it is hard to get a firm number.

thanks

stuart
  • 5. Re: Oracle Linux Market Share
    Dude! Guru
    If you want to be good at something you have to enjoy what you are doing. More market share means more competition and probably having to deal with more wannabe experts. I cannot imagine that market share will help to be profitable or successful unless you can offer something for which there is demand. For instance, if you have an idea how to make a system foolproof and virus free once and for all, than MS Windows was probably your best target. ;-)
  • 6. Re: Oracle Linux Market Share
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Stuart Fleming wrote:
    I am just assessing the market. Partially to know if I should consider training specifically for Oracle Linux, or another brand.
    Oracle Linux is basically RHEL. If you can sysadmin one, you can sysadmin the other. There are no differences (as there would be with a release based on a different distro).

The other big distro is Debian. In my experience, this has a stronger presence in the desktop market (e.g. Ubunutu). We (our team) have 80+ RHEL based servers deployed. There are 100's more Linux servers in the corporate, and none of them are Debian based. And more of them are switching from RHEL to Oracle Linux due to cheaper support and maintenance, and the availability of Public Yum access when testing new servers and new deployments. Our team's previous RHEL support contract included RHEL Satellite Server - one of a few down here that actually had their own RHN server deployments. A very neat tool, but also expensive in comparison and restricted to requiring licenses to deploy (which pretty much rules out dynamic test server environments). Also one of the reasons that we did not renew maintenance and went Oracle Linux instead.
  • 7. Re: Oracle Linux Market Share
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    Hey, this came out today

https://blogs.oracle.com/OracleConnection/entry/oracle_linux

Oracle Linux
    By Jaisy Azevedo on May 07, 2013

- Oracle Linux has @6% of Linux market in 2012
    - Oracle Linux grew @83% since 2011
    - Oracle Linux revenues from 2012 estimated @$81 million

“Market Share: All Software Markets, Worldwide, 2012”
    Published: 29 March 2013
    Doc ID:G00250553
  • 8. Re: Oracle Linux Market Share
    Dude! Guru
    Is "Revenues" based on subscriptions? Oracle Linux, unlike RHEL does not require a subscription.
  • 9. Re: Oracle Linux Market Share
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Good point. Which could mean an even bigger market share when non-subscription installations are added (of which I have a few myself in the office, and used for what can be considered production).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points