So, for an assignment I have to write a program that obtain certain student's information, for instance: current courses, GPA, major and class standing. Based on the information I have to suggest 3 friends that most relate to this person (some kind of add suggestion feature).
Now, I have decided to use a txt file with the information of the "students" that could be a match, I would then read this file and obtain those students information. Therefore, one of my questions would be: should I create a student class and create an object every time I read a student's information from the txt file? if not, where could I save this information so I could then relate it to the new input student.
I would suggest you to design it as a web application.
1) Create a form using html or JSP.
2) Create a backing bean or servlet to fetch the values from the form created in Step 1
3) Store some predefined data in the database (you can use mySQL) , This is the data against which you can do matching/suggestions for 3 best matches.
4) Write the business logic within the backing bean/Servlet class
5) Return this as a response and render it in the web page.
Perhaps a little re-wording would be more digestible (just trying to help):
Your suggestion is stupid as it would involve the extra complexity of a web application for a simple school assignment.
Your suggestion may not be advisable as it would involve the extra complexity of a web application for a simple school assignment.